Pattern on all four sides

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

I finished turning the segmented blank that I posted recently and put it on a Solano kit.

I left it a wee shade fatter than normal as I didnt want the patterns to run into each other.
All comments appreciated.

IMG_2876.JPGIMG_2878.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Very nice blank. Must require lots of patience...which I have very little. May I suggest a more neutral background as a piece of cloth. Experiment with colors to get the best contrast without interfering to the multiple colors of the blank. Thanks for sharing.

mobyturns

I left it a wee shade fatter than normal as I didnt want the patterns to run into each other.
All comments appreciated.
It came up nicely.

I can sympathize with your emotions of wanting to savor the blank in its own right before finish turning. :)

It can become very frustrating, well downright unpleasant ..... mind the language, if it goes pear shaped. :rolleyes: DAMHIKT.

As they say - if you aren't making mistakes / failures you aren't trying hard enough.

Alan Morrison

Well done Alan. Did you cut staves or glue up squares with spacers?
Thanks Steve. The build was somewhat complicated and could probably be made easier, but this is how I did it. I made two identical blanks and ripped them into thirds, roughly, and reassambled, then added the end caps.
I'm not sure how to accurately cut staves, but know that it would probably be a lot easier. My problem has been maintaining an even dividing line between the patterns. I think that I eventually managed it successfully this time, but it has been a bit hit and miss.
Any advice on cutting staves will be more than welcome, by the way.

Alan Morrison

Very nice blank. Must require lots of patience...which I have very little. May I suggest a more neutral background as a piece of cloth. Experiment with colors to get the best contrast without interfering to the multiple colors of the blank. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks John, I will take up your suggestion.

Alan Morrison

It came up nicely.

I can sympathize with your emotions of wanting to savor the blank in its own right before finish turning. :)

It can become very frustrating, well downright unpleasant ..... mind the language, if it goes pear shaped. :rolleyes: DAMHIKT.

As they say - if you aren't making mistakes / failures you aren't trying hard enough.
Thanks Geoff, as you know a lot of blanks look far better before turning than they do when turned. ( you should see my waste bin )
It would be nice to see what you're working on yourself.

mobyturns

Thanks Geoff, as you know a lot of blanks look far better before turning than they do when turned. ( you should see my waste bin )
It would be nice to see what you're working on yourself.
Definitely, and fortunately I don't have many rejects these days. Well, they may not be rejects to others, but I can still see room for improvement. That's why I previously mentioned "don't give it away just yet."

I believe success on this path we are on only comes from a determination to resolve all the "one percenters" throughout the whole process. Even then an errant drill bit can blow all of that effort. :oops: Identifying the room for improvement only comes from doing and doing it with your "unique" setup. My saw does not have miter slots only a sliding table so my solutions will not be applicable to the more traditional cabinet / table saw design.

I'm working on a variety of projects atm but are struggling to maintain energy with increasing heart issues. I'm simply exhausted trying to achieve a desired output or milestone and put off tasks like taking reasonable images etc. Not to mention the constant distraction of my brain being a few generations ahead of what is actually on the bench.

Top Bottom