Passing on knowledge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

What do you consider knowledge worth passing on in life?
Meaning, what would you tell the younger folks that would enrich their lives, help them avoid your mistakes in life, and help them have a better life in general? I am curious is all.

I believe knowledge is one of our best tools to teach the younger ones in our life.

Discuss?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

My grandson (14 at the time) visited for a week, 2 summers ago. I took him to all the old family homesteads and the cemeteries. I told him stories about all the people buried there and made sure he knew where he came from. I made sure he knew that no matter where he roamed, he could always come back here and find family.

I think we need to pass on American culture and what makes America unique. I agree with keith's list above, too.

Steve

Cwalker935

Here are a few things that I always told my daughters:
-Don't mess with crazy.
-As a rule, you cannot trust any young man between the age of 14 and 25.
-If you have to use alcohol or drugs to enjoy life then you are not doing it right.

Dave Turner

1) Treat everyone with respect. Everyone.
2) Smile. It really does make you feel better and is contagious.
3) Responsibly enjoy life. You're in it for the long haul, so keep a responsible eye out for your future; but you only go through life once so enjoy every minute of it that you can.

These are some of the lessons I hopefully instilled in my son.

Rick_G

Unlike some of what they seem to be teaching at school life is not always fair and you don't get a trophy/paycheck just for showing up. Unless of course you can land a government job or become a politician.

1080Wayne

Difficult to foretell some of the situations they might encounter and the most valuable piece of knowledge for dealing with it . Chances are that our pen turning knowledge won`t help a lot .

The book `The Knowledge`by Lewis Dartnell , The Penguin Press , 2014 , holds a lot ; some of it currently relevant , some not , but none of it should be forgotten .

MTViper

Wouldn't it be great if kids came with a USB port in the middle of their foreheads so we could just upload all the info they'd need.

Curly

Their heads are in the clouds. Bluetooth would be better. ;)

They have to take everything they took in as they grew and make their own choices. Hopefully good ones. If not, survive and learn from the bad ones.

Always respect your elders - they have been there done that (or know someone who has)
Your integrity is everything!
Before saying something negative ask yourself should I? Then just because you had to ask the question DON'T
You will not agree with anyone about everything - people are human and will look at things differently - respect that.
Be creative - if it be by the use of your hands or your mind - explore that side of you.
Money can not buy happiness - find something you love to do and see if you can earn a living at that - you may not get rich but you will be happy
The only stupid question is the one not asked - everyone was a newbie at some point - in everything they do.
Do not expect to be the CEO of the company from the start - a lot of the worlds best chefs started as dishwashers (I KNOW)
When telling a subordinate to do a job explain why - they will look at the task differently than just assuming it is just "work"
Live Life!!
Let those you love know it! Too often they are gone too soon.

GaryMGg

Nothing is free.
Play fair but never forget Winning matters; first is first and second is last.
Feelings don't change facts.
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

Coming from an 18 year old.

Respect everyone, if you start a job FINISH it, obey authority, get some discipline, get out of bed, prepare yourself for the day, begin each day with an open mind. You will fail you will fail often, get back up and learn from your mistakes. I have a huge respect for our military, learn from our great service men and women.

Here is something that might help along the way.
https://youtu.be/pxBQLFLei70

Joey-Nieves

Well After reading all the answers I think it is safe to say that respect is the common denominator. Respect for oneself, respect to others, respect to the elderly and respect to God. Some have chosen to use a joke to state a point in form of humor. never underestimate the wisdom of a funny "Saying" or joke.

• "When you marry, you marry the whole family not just the person"
  • "Take a long look at your mother in law because that's what she's going to look like"
  • Do not to others.....
  • what goes around...
and so may others,

I believe that love has a great place in our life. Love thy neighbor, love your job, love what ever you do, love thou pen-turning.:biggrin:

If you go around life being mindful of the consequences of your actions, you can not go wrong.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What do you consider knowledge worth passing on in life?
Meaning, what would you tell the younger folks that would enrich their lives, help them avoid your mistakes in life, and help them have a better life in general? I am curious is all.

I believe knowledge is one of our best tools to teach the younger ones in our life.

Discuss?
Nobody owes you anything because you were born, and you don't owe anybody anything because they were born.

Life is not fair and probably wouldn't be worth living if it was. Life being perfectly fair would be the least common denominator in every walk of life, Humanity advances on the back of those who are more gifted than the rest of us and falls when we pull them down to make it fair.

mecompco

Lots of great answers thus far. I will add: Be polite.

It costs you nothing and can help you get far. I deal with Jr. High kids all day and the ones that know their "please and thank you" make my day.

Regards,
Michael

jttheclockman

It costs you nothing and can help you get far. I deal with Jr. High kids all day and the ones that know their "please and thank you" make my day.

Regards,
Michael

Wish you a lot of luck:biggrin:

Many years ago I was working for a contractor that did a lot of school work in different districts in the area. We were in the grade schools, JR. High schools as well as the High schools. We worked in these schools both during school hours and also during summer breaks.

One thing stood out to each person in our shop, that the JR High kids were the roughest bunch to deal with. The most work came from those schools because of destruction, the interaction of the students with both teachers and other students was at times rude. We all believed that that is the age kids sprout their wings and want to fly from the nest and test their limits. Things calm down when in HS. There were many examples over the years.

So to you I say good luck to you. I know not all kids fall in the category but it only takes a few. :)

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

Wish you a lot of luck:biggrin:

Many years ago I was working for a contractor that did a lot of school work in different districts in the area. We were in the grade schools, JR. High schools as well as the High schools. We worked in these schools both during school hours and also during summer breaks.

One thing stood out to each person in our shop, that the JR High kids were the roughest bunch to deal with. The most work came from those schools because of destruction, the interaction of the students with both teachers and other students was at times rude. We all believed that that is the age kids sprout their wings and want to fly from the nest and test their limits. Things calm down when in HS. There were many examples over the years.

So to you I say good luck to you. I know not all kids fall in the category but it only takes a few. :)

Ha ha, thanks John. Pretty much the only time I see the kids is when they need help with their iPads (every public school Jr. High student in Maine has a State issued iPad or MacBook Air (we're switching to Airs next year)) or they are in trouble for misusing technology.

I will say that most of the kids are good, given their age. Some are extremely polite and courteous and a few are little p*$#%s. Most of the time it's a fun job. :)

Krash

1. We all are sinners in need of a savior. That savior is Jesus Christ.
2. You can choose your actions or you can choose you consequences, but you can't choose both.
3. Work hard to get what you want. Don't expect others to gift you from the abundance they worked hard to get.

It's a shame that while we seek to pass on knowledge, kids just want to pass on knowledge!

Last edited:
The ones I mentioned earlier are ones that helped me. Two that I've learned from experience are,
It's good to impress the boss, however it's more important to impress the person the boss talks to.
If you want to advance in any career, be available. Become the person your supervisor calls when he needs help.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You can teach knowledge, or also stated as Knowledge is taught;
You can't teach Values - Values are transferred.

I prefer to pass on values.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You can teach knowledge, or also stated as Knowledge is taught;
You can't teach Values - Values are transferred.

I prefer to pass on values.

Sorry, I was called out before I could actually polish/finish the above and hit "submit/post" too soon.

Teaching transfers knowledge
Mentoring transfers values
. . . is the correct way to describe the differences.

Mentoring is what I prefer to do, and I see those values taken up by those I spend time with.

Top Bottom