Parker "Yellow Marble" (a.k.a. crushed velvet)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

One of the members of a fountain pen group I belong to asked me to make a pen and mechanical pencil from some of the 1970s-era [correction: 1980s-era] Parker Pen "marble" material. From the selection of 5 or 6 different colors I have in stock, he requested the yellow. I had the pencil already made, and finished the pen today.

Pen nib is JoWo #6 polished steel (medium point); clip is handmade from 0.050" sheet type 301 stainless steel.

Pencil mechanism is Pentel 0.7mm.

Parker Yellow Marble -1.jpg

Parker Yellow Marble -2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Wow, those are pretty stunning! Is this the actual material Parker used? If so, how did you come by this beautiful stuff? Is there any finish on it or does it just polish that well?

duncsuss

Wow, those are pretty stunning! Is this the actual material Parker used? If so, how did you come by this beautiful stuff? Is there any finish on it or does it just polish that well?

Thanks!

I believe it is Parker's material - or perhaps overstock from the company that manufactured it for Parker. THIS LINK takes you to a page about Parker pens, if you scroll down you'll see Duofolds in Blue Marble, Red Marble, and Green Marble. It's talking about the 1980s though, I'd mistakenly written 1970s so I should correct the vintage in my original post.

I've sourced it a few different ways, including buying several pieces from MrBurls here on IAP. He calls it "crushed velvet" which is a better description than "marble".

No finish. I use Zona polishing papers through to 1 micron grit, then buff with White Diamond, then blue compound, then Caswell Plating "Plas-Glo" and lastly the finest compound Caswell Plating make (Plas-Glo is not the finest, their naming system is a bit screwy.)

jttheclockman

I like that pen and material. The older material just can not be duplicated. There is quite afew out there. I too bought some of that crushed velvet material and they make great looking pens.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0507.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0507.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 108

jrista

Wow! That is one heck of a material! Did you make the blanks yourself? Or did you buy them?

Love the look. Definitely looks like something out of the 80s! Especially that mechanical pencil...I never had one that had that swirly appearance, but the clip, clicker and nib are dead-on!

duncsuss

Wow! That is one heck of a material! Did you make the blanks yourself? Or did you buy them?

Love the look. Definitely looks like something out of the 80s! Especially that mechanical pencil...I never had one that had that swirly appearance, but the clip, clicker and nib are dead-on!

Thanks! Check a couple of posts earlier in the thread for more information on the blanks.

The mechanical pencil is a Pentel click mechanism in new clothing - one of the members (John Ground, I forget his IAP user name) makes and sells a modified drill bit and mandrel specifically for this.

duncsuss

I like that pen and material. The older material just can not be duplicated. There is quite afew out there. I too bought some of that crushed velvet material and they make great looking pens.
Absolutely right, John - I love the vintage materials. I have a decent collection of this, Mazzucchelli Cebloplast, galalith (a.k.a. casein), and cellulose acetate. Even scored some genuine Omas celluloid (which gives off the scent of camphor when you rub it gently with 600 grit sandpaper ... delightful!)

jttheclockman

I recently picked up some Omas silver and it is beautiful stuff. I need to show that pen here. Just can not beat the oldies.

Yours is a great combo. I like the Parker pen shapes. Classics.

Last edited:

EricRN

Thanks!

I believe it is Parker's material - or perhaps overstock from the company that manufactured it for Parker. THIS LINK takes you to a page about Parker pens, if you scroll down you'll see Duofolds in Blue Marble, Red Marble, and Green Marble. It's talking about the 1980s though, I'd mistakenly written 1970s so I should correct the vintage in my original post.

I've sourced it a few different ways, including buying several pieces from MrBurls here on IAP. He calls it "crushed velvet" which is a better description than "marble".

No finish. I use Zona polishing papers through to 1 micron grit, then buff with White Diamond, then blue compound, then Caswell Plating "Plas-Glo" and lastly the finest compound Caswell Plating make (Plas-Glo is not the finest, their naming system is a bit screwy.)
Absolutely right, John - I love the vintage materials. I have a decent collection of this, Mazzucchelli Cebloplast, galalith (a.k.a. casein), and cellulose acetate. Even scored some genuine Omas celluloid (which gives off the scent of camphor when you rub it gently with 600 grit sandpaper ... delightful!)
I'll second Duncan. I have a huge addiction to vintage stuff. I'm particularly fond of the vintage acetate and the cebloplast. Here are some pictures of some of my work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/113116014@N05/albums/72157712094270706. I've got a couple rods of this Parker material laying around but haven't turned any of it yet. Incredibly jealous of Duncan's Omas celluloid. I'd love to get some of that someday but the few times I see it available for sale, folks are asking between $500-1000 for enough to make a single pen!!! I don't trust myself yet with that kind of investment.

its_virgil

Very nice. Beautiful pens. I especially like the pentel conversion having made lots of them over the years. I just recently found a couple of that same crushed velvet and made myself a pen. I once had several pieces but have used it all. It makes really striking pens. I do have one more blue and one red but they are 5/8" diameter. One of the pieces just may make a pentel for myself.

Here is a link to an article I wrote for a demo I did at SWAT in August on making the pentel conversion. No special tooling is needed. It has a clever way to make the conversion. Not my idea but I do have permission to share it.

I have the special drill bit and mandrel from John Grounds mentioned in the original post and they both work well.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

duncsuss

Fantastic pen and pencil, excellent job on the nose with the pencil. I know how hard that is. Looks perfect.
Thanks - yes, there is a very real danger of cutting the nose too thin at the step down. I keep the accidents close by in an attempt to remind myself not to push my luck, but it doesn't help much ;)

Top Bottom