Parker refill problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Angelo49

Hi,
I sold this Vertex pen a while ago. I get an email from the buyer saying that he is trying to replace the parker
style refill with a Parker Quinkflow broad tip refill
He says the diameter is larger than the pen barrel opening and it doesn't fit???
I've been searching for the past 2 hrs.to find the dia. of this refill but with no luck.
The standard diameter for the Parker refill is .236''
For the parker Gel / Rollerball the dia. is .248''
The length is 3.87''
P1030046.JPG

The opening of the pen barrel dia. is .290''

Does anyone have the spec for this Parker Quinkflow broad tip refill?

1615407075197.png

Thanks
Angelo

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hope you don't mind if I add a note of humor. . . I did a Google search for "specifications of Parker Quinkflow refill"

This is what I found out at one of the links listed on this page of results from this search :-

Results of search :-

The humorous part is that the refill size is not given, but what is given is the size of the the cardboard card on which the refill is sold .
At least, that's what I think is meant by these dimensions :-

Item dimensions L x W x H5.4 x 0.8 x 19.4 centimeters

Translated to "more familiar" units :- 2.12" x 0.31" x 7.64" ( can't imagine those being the dimensions of the actual refill ) ..... LOL !

Sometimes I marvel at the usefulness of doing some Google searches !!!

And then there is this link, which gives the lengths of a multitude of refills, but no diameters ......... THANKS A LOT !!! .... LOL !

Angelo49

Hope you don't mind if I add a note of humor. . . I did a Google search for "specifications of Parker Quinkflow refill"

This is what I found out at one of the links listed on this page of results from this search :-

Results of search :-

The humorous part is that the refill size is not given, but what is given is the size of the the cardboard card on which the refill is sold .
At least, that's what I think is meant by these dimensions :-

Item dimensions L x W x H5.4 x 0.8 x 19.4 centimeters

Translated to "more familiar" units :- 2.12" x 0.31" x 7.64" ( can't imagine those being the dimensions of the actual refill ) ..... LOL !

Sometimes I marvel at the usefulness of doing some Google searches !!!

And then there is this link, which gives the lengths of a multitude of refills, but no diameters ......... THANKS A LOT !!! .... LOL !

''but what is given is the size of the the cardboard card on which the refill is sold''
EXACYLY!!!
I went through dozens of sites and all of them came up with the package size.
A few listed the refill length but never the dia.

magpens

Yeah !!! .

So, while I said those facts have an element of humor attached to them, that element is actually a sad reflection on modern life .......

....... we have unlimited access to "information" in one sense .......

....... but often that "information" is provided by "robots" of limited "intelligence" and is, therefore, of limited usefulness.

Angelo49

Yeah !!! .

So, while I said those facts have an element of humor attached to them, that element is actually a sad reflection on modern life .......
And......... I only found one site that listed the dia. for what to be seems like all parker refills.
I'm wondering if he didn't buy it on the street from the guy who sells the $12 Rollex LOL

https://unsharpen.com/pen-refill-guide/

magpens

@KenB259

KEN !!!!! ..... I know you were not directing your post at me ..... the CUSTOMER is always right ..... you have to cater to the CUSTOMER !! ... LOL !

YES !!!!! ..... Common sense would tell YOU and ME and ANGELO that the customer can't do what he is trying to do ..... It isn't MEANT to fit !!!

But you cannot tell the customer that he is lacking in common sense, now can you !! ..... LOL !! ..... Angelo is only trying to help him out of the bind.

MAYBE a workaround can be found !! ..... I don't know why I got into this ..... but I can see the funny side ..... similar has happened to me !! LOL !

At first glance all refills look pretty much the same !!

Last edited:

KenB259

@KenB259

KEN !!!!! ..... I know you were not directing your post at me ..... the CUSTOMER is always right ..... you have to cater to the CUSTOMER !! ... LOL !

YES !!!!! ..... Common sense would tell YOU and ME and ANGELO that the customer can't do what he is trying to do ..... It isn't MEANT to fit !!!

But you cannot tell the customer that he is lacking in common sense, now can you !! ..... LOL !! ..... Angelo is only trying to help him out of the bind.

MAYBE a workaround can be found !! ..... I don't know why I got into this ..... but I can see the funny side ..... similar has happened to me !! LOL !

LOL, I get cynical at times. This was one of those times !!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

@KenB259

LOL, I get cynical at times. This was one of those times !!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Just an FYI. I've found that import refills sometimes, usually, don't fit, like 100% of the time. So I tell all my pen customer to make sure that they don't use "import" refills. Seems to work for most applications and I've not gotten any negative responses. But I gotta say, after one crappy day today, I like the banter between the two of you. It makes life funny, which I need right now. Thanks!

magpens

@wolf creek knives

I'm with you, Tom !!! . . Life needs a bit of humor tossed in once in a while !!! . . . LOL !!

I've been dealing with a new doctor ..... he and his staff are really gung-ho on computer and software technology.
So all the appointment set up, etc., is done by email.
And "they" have his new-fangled software that gives robotic replies to everything !! ...... the patient has no idea where he's at ...... !!!!!

Talk about frustrating ..... when you just want to get to the root of the problem !! ..... all you get is a non-sensical "run-around"

And now I see that "something" doesn't like my word "new-fangled" above ...... spell-checkers ..... software robots ..... I'm going back to the farm !!!
It doesn't like "non-sensical" either ..... LOL !!! ..... but you and I understand both perfectly ..... don't we ?!! ..... LOL !! .... LOL !!!

Angelo49

Well it might be that he emailed the wrong person about his problem and I made the first mistake by
going along with him.
Seems like he purchased this wierd looking antique brass pen from another vendor.
He used the word hexagonal in his first email so I automatically thought it was mine. (MISTAKE!!)
What I sold him was a Gear Click Pen.
I have to convince him that it's not my pen / problem. LOL
Oh well, I'm waiting for his reply.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi,
I sold this Vertex pen a while ago. I get an email from the buyer saying that he is trying to replace the parker
style refill with a Parker Quinkflow broad tip refill
He says the diameter is larger than the pen barrel opening and it doesn't fit???
I've been searching for the past 2 hrs.to find the dia. of this refill but with no luck.
The standard diameter for the Parker refill is .236''
For the parker Gel / Rollerball the dia. is .248''
The length is 3.87''View attachment 301372
The opening of the pen barrel dia. is .290''

Does anyone have the spec for this Parker Quinkflow broad tip refill?

View attachment 301373
Thanks
Angelo

Just to add to the discussion. I have two Parker refill packets bought from Staples probably 4-5 years ago... Both Quink Flow, but not 'broad tip refill. Mine, on the right (Black) is labeled - Ballpoint Refill Fine.

Dimensions:

Length - about 3.858"
OD (Barrel) - about .2280"

Not sure if this helps, but it got me out of my chair...

Attachments

• CBFB5972-ABB3-4BE4-BA9F-8D9F3A5D53E1_1_201_a.jpeg
    CBFB5972-ABB3-4BE4-BA9F-8D9F3A5D53E1_1_201_a.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 100
  • D649AD66-A67E-45F2-A3B4-55E00D966B05_1_201_a.jpeg
    D649AD66-A67E-45F2-A3B4-55E00D966B05_1_201_a.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 103
  • F9831614-DB91-43C7-B805-7B49DFC89462_1_201_a.jpeg
    F9831614-DB91-43C7-B805-7B49DFC89462_1_201_a.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 622E6464-49C9-415D-B503-8713CF5F7F9D_1_201_a.jpeg
    622E6464-49C9-415D-B503-8713CF5F7F9D_1_201_a.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 100

1080Wayne

One other thought Angelo . Might be worth clarifying with the `customer` that it is the refill body diameter that is too large for the barrel , not the nib diameter too large to come through the nib . I think the latter is a more common problem .

Angelo49

I did ask him all these questions yesterday, but never got back to me.
I do think he got me confused with another vendor.
Staples over here did not carry a broad tip refill.
Next I'll try Office Max or find one on line.
Angelo

Angelo49

I never got an answer from the buyer. He stated that the refill didn't fit into the 'barrel'
I figured he meant the dia. of the body of the refill.
If he didn't answer me by now heprobably realized that it's not my pen
we're talking about.
Thanks for the photo Todd
Angelo

Angelo49

I just measured most of the pen tip openings that take a parker style refill.
Most are between .098'' to .103'' the Vertex measured .109''
Todd's pic shows 2.3mm = .0906'' If the pen he has can't accept these parkers maybe
it takes a Cross style refill???
We may never know LOL

Top Bottom