Paper Sharpening Wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

Anyone use a paper sharpening wheel system for sharpening lathe tools? Curious what your experiences are.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I've never seen a 'paper' sharpeing wheel, but I do recall seeing a YouTube about a turner who replaced the outboard handwheel on his lathe with an MDF disc that he loaded with grinding compound and used to hone his tools. Same idea.

JimB

From the description they sound like honing wheels not sharpening wheels. Also, if you look at how they describe to use them you need the sharp edge going away from the rotating wheel. Using their grease would mean being sure to get it off your tool before using it so the grease doesn't stain your blank.

J_B

Guys I used to sharpen hairstylist and barber shears working my way through college. I used something similar but with metal plates with the 3M micron PSA (1Micron up to 30-90micron) disks as we did NOT want a burr to be raised and stay. We raised a burr but it was polished off. The metal disks were run horizontally and were very effective on fine sharpening.
I knew of a couple of turners back then (early 90's) that took MDF disks and or metal disks and glued plain canvas to them on one side and loaded them up with different grits of aluminum oxide powders. They used these to sharpen their carving and turning tools. The turning tools they didn't care too much for as the burr was not large enough nor sturdy enough to last very long and eventually went back to grinding wheels but not for the carving tool. I still use a metal disk to hone some of my carving tools on using a green Japanese rouge for them and my regular kitchen knives. I still also have the paper disks (compressed layers which usually loaded with a rouge and very effective and last for years) you have pictured and those too are used for polishing after raising the burr. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

More4dan

I have used them for years to sharpen knives. One wheel has carbide dust glued on and will sharpen the blade after establishing the bevel. The other is coated with a buffing rouge to polish off the final burr edge and the bevel. You can get a razor edge with a mirror finish in just minutes. I apply wax to the carbide side that keeps the blade cool when sharpening. I use the rouge wheel to do touch ups to the edge between sharpenings. However, I haven't used them for lathe tools, they should work. They wouldn't work for establishing the initial bevel of the edge, just for final sharpening.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom