Paper Cutter??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looking for a good quality heavy duty guillotine style paper cutter. Something that can cut heavy card stock. Any suggestions out there?? I know it is an off the wall question but when you have aneed I usually try here first. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Mine is a Fiskars . Light weight plastic body , not like the ones we grew up with , but works okay on my card stock . Threw away the label on my card stock package , so can`t quote the weight , but about normal business card weight .

EricRN

My 2 cents--I'd look at a rotary type cutter, rather than guillotine. Depends on your intended use, but the rotary types tend to cut more accurately. I've got a Dahle that I use for trimming photographs and photo mattes.

jttheclockman

My 2 cents--I'd look at a rotary type cutter, rather than guillotine. Depends on your intended use, but the rotary types tend to cut more accurately. I've got a Dahle that I use for trimming photographs and photo mattes.
Have a rotary but it does not cut thick card stock well.

monophoto

It really depends on the weight of the card stock.

Guillotine-style paper cutters generally were designed to cut paper rather than card stock. They could handle a limited number multiple sheets, but the limitation was poorly defined and tended to diminish as the cutter got older, so it was entirely too easy to have a problem with too much paper. There were (and I suspect still are) heavy-duty commercial cutters that would work better.

My paper cutter is probably 40 years old, and I'm not even sure that the store where I bought it is still in business.

You didn't describe what you are trying to cut, but my experience is that a han-held rotary-style cutter (eg, Olfa) combined with straightedge and one of those plastic cutting matts might be the best solution. You can buy the cutters in stationary stores, but I found that they were more readily available and at better prices in shops that sold sewing supplies because they are commonly used to cut fabric.

keithlong

If you have a printing business near to you, you can get them to cut your cardstock for you. Most cardstock is 110 lbs. When I was in the printing business I had a huge paper cutter that would cut 1000 sheets at a time up to 30 inches wide.

Curly

We had one in the office at work. The machinists frequently used it to shear brass shim stock to at least .010" or more. Handy tool in the shop. If I could get one cheap I wouldn't hesitate. Should work nicely on most veneers.

jttheclockman

We had one in the office at work. The machinists frequently used it to shear brass shim stock to at least .010" or more. Handy tool in the shop. If I could get one cheap I wouldn't hesitate. Should work nicely on most veneers.
What kind though. I am thinking the "Premier guillotine paper cutter" ones like we had in school. Those things were built like a tank. I see them on ebay but people want so much for shipping. I know they are heavy but have my brother on the look out for one. He does the garage and yard sale thing. He says he has seen them. Thin wood veneer, heavy paper stock (heavier than business card stuff) acrylic sheets. are some of the things I am thinking of cutting with it."

MRDucks2

I have a Boston 2612. Smaller version of the ones when were kids. Laminated MDF bed 3/4" thick. Works great but not sure you can still get them.

KenB259

Amazon has this one, pretty pricey but it will cut 300 sheets of paper at once. Not sure how much you want to spend.
IMG_1905.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
What kind though. I am thinking the "Premier guillotine paper cutter" ones like we had in school. Those things were built like a tank. I see them on ebay but people want so much for shipping. I know they are heavy but have my brother on the look out for one. He does the garage and yard sale thing. He says he has seen them. Thin wood veneer, heavy paper stock (heavier than business card stuff) acrylic sheets. are some of the things I am thinking of cutting with it."

I had a couple of medium weight ones over the years that just did not cut more than a few sheets of paper at once consistently and then when I got to Japan in the mid '80s, I think I spent the equivalent of about $200+ and that cutter is still sharp today. It is v very much like the ones we had in school in the 50's - 60's. My girls have wanted it and I told them which ever one is best to me while I am here - gets it when I leave this earth! šŸ˜Š

You are right, get a good one!

Top Bottom