Paper Bark!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

Early this morning I was checking on a power outage problem at one of our sites & I stumbled upon a few pieces of Paper Bark Birch. Being conservative in nature, I had no choice but to salvage one of the chunks about 3' long! This bowl is 4" deep & and 6.5" wide....I really hate to put any finish on it because I know it is going to darken some but the grain that looks like stalactites should really pop...

Attachments

• DSC01499.JPG
    DSC01499.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC01501.JPG
    DSC01501.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Phillip; Fantastic bowl !! If you don't want to darken the bowl when you finish it, try a clear water based finish such as Hydrocoat or something like it. Test it on the bottom of your bowl or on a scrap piece of wood first to see if it gets the look you want. Spar varnish will seal it and keep it from cracking but may add an amber tint. Anything you use is going to darken it somewhat, Put a little distilled water on the wood to see what color you are going to get. Jim S

walshjp17

Good lookin' bowl, Phillip. To paraphrase that great American (League) philosopher, Y. Berra "It ain't finished 'til it's finished.":biggrin:

Top Bottom