palm root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ambidex

Ambidex

Just to prove I don't destroy every blank you send to me George..and am still waiting on an epiphany to save the olive blank that had a booboo...palm root on an emperor with 5 coats of med ca mm'd to 12k..all and I mean ALL c+cs are more than welcome...unless ansel adams is out there..photogs know..

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Really nice job! The blank fit well with the kit, and the turning and finish look great!

Any suggestions on turning "George Wood"? I just received a box full and will be attending to matters next week hopefully!

Ambidex

Really nice job! The blank fit well with the kit, and the turning and finish look great!

Any suggestions on turning "George Wood"? I just received a box full and will be attending to matters next week hopefully!

patience...uh ..that's all I have..out of every blank I've got from George..I've actually turned 10-13 beautiful pens..unfortunately the only time he hears from me is when I screw up...and it's not a complaint..it's asking for advice...and everytime he has given me sage advice that works..

robutacion

Great job you done on that blank, congrats...!

Interestingly, I don't remember to have sent you 2 of those, unless a long time ago, looking at the pic I could swear that the blank you've got underneath the pen, is the same blank as the one in the pen, and unless you're a magician or have some very special layering editing software, and a great skill on shadow creation, that's ain't possible so, I wonder...!

I had a few of those that i wished I had the stabilizing system then, they are not the worse to work with because they are the very joint where the roots strains start to form from the Palm tree butt/base, the strains are still all connected to the main Palm wood material, keeping everything together and without and soil in the mix. The same can not be said for the root material I use on the Resifills, they are fully composed by Palm strains with dirt/soil as the "spacer", mother nature done that, not me...!

Glad to see you done them proud...!

Cheers
George

OZturner

Mark, I don't know what George (robutacion) put in your Grab Bag, but I would make certain you had a supply of Flap Wheel Disks, they are essential in rounding some of his Blanks, to reduce Blow Outs of the "Goodies" encased.
Have fun, Can't wait to see your results.
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

patience...uh ..that's all I have..out of every blank I've got from George..I've actually turned 10-13 beautiful pens..unfortunately the only time he hears from me is when I screw up...and it's not a complaint..it's asking for advice...and everytime he has given me sage advice that works..

Sounds good... I'm in the mood for "Patience Projects!"

This week should be fun!

tgsean

Fantastic outcome. Looks awesome. Did you use flap discs? Or could you turn this with regular HSS?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Mark, I don't know what George (robutacion) put in your Grab Bag, but I would make certain you had a supply of Flap Wheel Disks, they are essential in rounding some of his Blanks, to reduce Blow Outs of the "Goodies" encased.
Brian.

OK... Flap Wheel Disks? I'll have to look it up - never used one. I have read/heard of them, so it shouldn't be a stretch to obtain.

I expect/anticipate having inclusions and holes (since I ASKED for wood with them) that I need to stabilize with CA, so that's fine - done that with lots of Buckeye Burls.

George stuffed the boxes with his kitchen sink!!!

Take care and thanks for the thoughts!

Ambidex

Thanks to all for the nice comments! I turned it with a gouge kept very sharp and when I was getting close to the sanding stage I kept applying ca and cutting very little at a time. George, I believe that was the first order I received from you about 3 years ago and if I remember correctly I got 8 of them. Blew 2 up, took a break to improve my skills, turned this one and I have 5 left.:) I'll be turning the others sometime soon for other component sets as I like how this one turned out. Maybe I'll use one of these on the olive majestic that had the stress fractures and poor fill spot:wink:

Last edited:

robutacion

Brian.

OK... Flap Wheel Disks? I'll have to look it up - never used one. I have read/heard of them, so it shouldn't be a stretch to obtain.

I expect/anticipate having inclusions and holes (since I ASKED for wood with them) that I need to stabilize with CA, so that's fine - done that with lots of Buckeye Burls.

Mark, are you kidding me...???:eek:

Where have you been, mate...???

I got some folks here that get the S#!t$ with me, because I keep mentioning the Flap Disc System...!:frown::smile-big:

Have a look here.

Again, I stress the fact that, not all blanks will require the flap disc, they can be all done with them for speed and minimizing catches however, where the flap disc shines are on blanks that are either very fragile, soft or made with some materials that HSS tools won't work well, one is special that eats HSS tools for breakfast, is the Palm Resifill as they are made with the root strains and dirt/soil is its "spacer".

The 5cps CA, accelerator and flap discs are the "3 amigos" in my box of tricks...!:smile-big::wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Thanks to all for the nice comments! I turned it with a gouge kept very sharp and when I was getting close to the sanding stage I kept applying ca and cutting very little at a time. George, I believe that was the first order I received from you about 3 years ago and if I remember correctly I got 8 of them. Blew 2 up, took a break to improve my skills, turned this one and I have 5 left.:) I'll be turning the others sometime soon for other component sets as I like how this one turned out. Maybe I'll use one of these on the olive majestic that had the stress fractures and poor fill spot:wink:

Yeah, I thought so...!

Gezzz, took you AWHILE to use them...!

Those were a special batch I cut from another smaller root I got and I specifically cut those blanks with half/half of the normal palm fibers and the joint where the root strains grow from, like I said is workable but was/is on the soft side of things, and that is the reason why I said that I wished I had the Stabilizing system then, I would have stabilized them for sure, as you find out, without some gentle handling, they can be destroyed quite easily...!

Those blanks are OK to be used with HSS sharp tools as they don't have any soil/dirt that far up in the root however, a small catch and goodbye blank, with the flap disc, you don't have catches and the sanding motion of disc turning in one direction while the lathe turns the other way, the finish will surprise you even with a 40 grit flap disc.

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh those... Why didn't you just say "those do-hickey sanding thingies!!! That I would have understood! :biggrin:

Brian.

Mark, are you kidding me...???:eek:

Where have you been, mate...???

I got some folks here that get the S#!t$ with me, because I keep mentioning the Flap Disc System...!:frown::smile-big:

Have a look here.

Again, I stress the fact that, not all blanks will require the flap disc, they can be all done with them for speed and minimizing catches however, where the flap disc shines are on blanks that are either very fragile, soft or made with some materials that HSS tools won't work well, one is special that eats HSS tools for breakfast, is the Palm Resifill as they are made with the root strains and dirt/soil is its "spacer".

The 5cps CA, accelerator and flap discs are the "3 amigos" in my box of tricks...!:smile-big::wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom