Pallets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JRK

They are giving away some pallets at work today.

Thought I might snag one to cut up for pen blanks.

Does anyone know what kind of wood they use to make pallets?

If they are pine, not sure it is hard enough for a pen.

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

They can be of almost anything from pine to oak in in cases of pallets from the tropics exotic hardwoods but usually hard to identify. The rub is they are often treated to kill bugs and plant diseases. Sometimes that is done with heat and sometimes it is with chemicals. If you are going to use pallet woods work with that in mind. If it kills bug it might not be so good to breath.

monophoto

Pallet wood can be just about anything. They are often made from woods that are considered 'inferior' for higher-quality applications, but they can still display interesting figure. And since they often come from overseas, the wood could be something that you will not find locally.

I had a pallet that originally came under a small chest freezer that I think was made in Italy; the wood appeared to be some kind of european oak.

dogcatcher

Depends on where they come from. Some peoples trash is another's treasure. But of they are native hardwoods, most likely the there will be more trash than treasure. In the good old days Japanese motorcycles came on pallets of southeast Asian hardwood. The Hinda dealer was a goldmine of imported fine hardwoods. Today they come in metal crates, or a scrap metal dealers joy.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I got one once that had some clear white holly on it. That was a super find. Holly in that size boards is expensive! The holly was both the 4x4x4 blocks and a couple of 42 inch long boards. I didn't know that it was holly until I cut the first one and saw how white it was inside. I still have one of the blocks!

sbwertz

When I was a little girl, my grandfather used to bring me wooden crates that were used to ship things like panes of glass, etc. They were made from kiln dried hardwood so they wouldn't warp and break the contents. He bought me my very own nail puller LOL. (I still have it.) I took them apart and the wood was mine to make anything I wanted.

tomas

Most pallets have codes on them that will let you know what chemicals they have either carried or been exposed to. Google "Pallet Codes."

Tomas

Last edited:

JRK

Most pallets have codes on them that will let you know what chemicals they have either carried or been exposed to. Google "Pallet Codes."

Tomas

According to the stamps on these they were heat treated - no chemicals. I grabbed one that looks like it had some thicker boards, one I think is cedar.

Not sure how a softer wood will do for a pen, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Jerry

sbwertz

I make pens out of cedar all the time. It is one of our favorite woods because it is easy to turn, and Eastern Red Cedar often has a purple color that is very popular. It turns and finishes well. (Some people are allergic to it.)

leehljp

Member Liaison

Tomas
According to the stamps on these they were heat treated - no chemicals. I grabbed one that looks like it had some thicker boards, one I think is cedar.

Not sure how a softer wood will do for a pen, but I'll give it a try.
Thanks

Jerry

Some pallets are made for specific use such as shipping material/products overseas or to manufacturing plants with requirements on what is allowed inside. Insecticides, pesticides, worm, bugs, in pallets are OK in some places but forbidden in other places. It depends upon the situation. Then there are those who send out requests for one time or one way pallets, some for re-useable pallets. My dad, in his retirement started making low quantity specialty pallets that high volume pallet factories didn't want to deal with - because he had to do something, retirement wasn't for him. He had a good business going until he died.

And I got some GREAT wood set aside for me that I am still using!

Top Bottom