Painting Rooms???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Odd question but got into a weird discussion with someone and thought I would throw it out here. I value this group. Painting rooms in a home. How many people paint their ceilings white and walls another color?? How many people paint the entire room the same color including the ceiling. Is one way more modern or more acceptable or is it just a matter of taste. I think it is a matter of taste. But the person I talked to mentioned a few things. One is with white ceilings it makes the room look larger. They also said that to have one wall a different color makes the room more interesting along with a white ceiling. Thoughts please. Thanks.

Asking these questions because I am about to paint the rooms in my house after I get the bath and kitchen remodeled this year. Right now all rooms the walls and ceilings are the same color. Just a carry over from when I lived at parents house and that was the way my Dad did it. Should mention woodwork is a med brown stain and will stay that way. So no painting woodwork or doors or windows.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I just painted my entire house. One room at a time. Took over a year. But I was also removing the popcorn ceilings. I use white ceiling paint. I painted every room the same color. After years of messing around with "other" paints, I am very happy with Sherwin-Williams HGTV (from Lowes) top shelf whatever it's called. I got very good coverage with one coat, some places needed a little extra.

The ceiling paint is very flat allegedly helps to hide defects. Word of advice, house painting is inverse of car painting. I had to learn to be less picky. Orange peel sucks on cars, necessary on walls.

I was tempted to do accent walls, but in the end decided not to. The one thing I learned was the walls look totally different depending on what lighting and furniture. I picked a very light (buckwheat) color. The difference was so striking I had to check the color in the can when adjacent rooms (in my case was bedroom - bath - walkin). I thought I had 3 different colors. Pic is too yellow. But the red lights on the left, cast a completely different look than the green shades on the right:
IMG_2622_stitch.jpg

MRDucks2

It is a matter of of taste I guess. The house we presently live in is a bit of an exception because it is a Victorian from 1893 mostly restored to period.

Our previous 5 houses (yeah, I know) were all either redone ourselves except the one built to our specs. We had white ceilings in all of them based on the idea that reflect more light. While I do not think a white ceiling makes a room feel bigger, I do believe dark ceilings or monotone rooms feel more enclosed or smaller.

The one different colored wall they call an accent wall and we had that in some of the rooms of all our homes except the first one. It is novel but not necessary, again a personal preference. I like it best in bedrooms vs other rooms though it did work well in one of the homes with a combined dining area with the kitchen area to help offset the dining portion. I do not think an accent wall is a good idea for a small room.

Again, all personal preference. I was always amused by the realtors we would talk to who would indicate we needed to repaint our homes in neutral colors to get them to sell. We never did. Every home sold somewhere between 75-98% faster than average market time for the area and all sold for more than the realtor wanted to list them at. (Record was 12 hours on the market at $50k more than realtor wanted to list it at).

Not saying that actually proves anything but I would think if were something that was not liked, it would have affected the time it took to sell or the price if not both.

MRDucks2

Agree with flat or satin paints. While the big comment is about hiding defects, one of the companies my Pastor in Texas owned was a painting company. His people proved to me that with flat paint or very very low sheen you can touch up the color and never see where it was needed. With a glossy paint you will always see where it was touched up.

jttheclockman

I will never use a glossy paint. In fact when I moved into this house it had a bedroom in gloss pink. I ripped the sheetrock off instead of trying to degloss. Did that in the kitchen ceiling back then and swore never to do that again. My living room will have an accent wall. Probably a herringbone wood pattern of some sort. This is going to one of those tough decisions because it will be the last time I paint entire house again. It does not have high ceilings so no crown molding on the ceiling. But I can paint so I can divide the colors. I have always used eggshell finish and may stick with that. Again will see. Thanks and keep suggestions coming and if you want to add photos that is good too.

MRDucks2

Herring bone accent wall is way above a normal accent wall. I think once you start using mixed media it is always pretty cool. I have seen wood, tin, even cloth that was pretty neat.

penicillin

Some of the ceilings in our home were sky blue when we moved in. We painted them white. We also have a large wood beam ceiling with upper walls of paneling that were natural wood, and I liked it a lot. My spouse won that "discussion." Both are now painted white. Admittedly, the room is brighter.

mick

Now days anything goes but the accepted practice used to be to paint ceilings bright, flat white and the walls the color of choice in a matte or eggshell paint.(as said above the flat hids imperfections)The exception is kitchens and baths. They got a gloss or semi gloss for durability and washibility. As I said before today anything goes. We live in a Victorian home and they tend to be a little different. The rule of thumb is a different color for each room and in darker jewel tones. The ceilings were anything from light to dark but rarely in white. Ours are white bur I feel with 12ft ceilings it's helps brighten the rooms.
The only constant I've noticed now days is trim. If it's not stained wood it's usually a semi gloss white. I think this a majority of the time is a contractor's choice unless the buyer requests something else.
A good argument for lighter colors throughout the house is so your accents come from decorations because they are cheaper to change out than to paint.
John if your tastes are anything like the pens your make I'm sure your choices will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jttheclockman

Now days anything goes but the accepted practice used to be to paint ceilings bright, flat white and the walls the color of choice in a matte or eggshell paint.(as said above the flat hids imperfections)The exception is kitchens and baths. They got a gloss or semi gloss for durability and washibility. As I said before today anything goes. We live in a Victorian home and they tend to be a little different. The rule of thumb is a different color for each room and in darker jewel tones. The ceilings were anything from light to dark but rarely in white. Ours are white bur I feel with 12ft ceilings it's helps brighten the rooms.
The only constant I've noticed now days is trim. If it's not stained wood it's usually a semi gloss white. I think this a majority of the time is a contractor's choice unless the buyer requests something else.
A good argument for lighter colors throughout the house is so your accents come from decorations because they are cheaper to change out than to paint.
John if your tastes are anything like the pens your make I'm sure your choices will be fine.

I don't know about that last statement but for the first time I will be painting the office room a grey. Never used grey before but I believe that is the new in color these days.

randyrls

John T; One thing I will suggest to you; go out and get a "Paint Stick". This is a roller with a hollow handle like a syringe. You suck the paint right from a one gallon can into the handle (it holds about 1 plus quarts of paint). Then go to town! Squeeze the handle and paint flows up thru the hollow roller handle and comes out thru small holes in the roller. I painted a room in my house in 45 minutes. Get one with a paint splatter guard. You will still have to "Cut in" but I use a pole and paint pad to do that. You will need a LARGE sink to clean the paint stick. and it takes about 45 minutes of work to get it acceptably clean. DON'T use this for less than a room.

mick

I don't know about that last statement but for the first time I will be painting the office room a grey. Never used grey before but I believe that is the new in color these days.
Grey is the new "in" color. Some friends painted there bedroom suite I guess you'd call it, bedroom, bath and dressing room all in different shades of grey with white trim. The grey is really crisp and clean looking.

Top Bottom