Paint colors/types for blanks and/or tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I was just looking at some Testors enamel and wondered if anyone had used paints besides standard colors. Someone must have tried this previously. If so, what was the outcome of metallics, fluorescents, or whatever else you may have tried? Obviously, the results will differ based on the blank colors and transparency, but I was just looking for a general comparision. Pictures would be great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use Krylon spray paints & I've tried a number of colors, including fluorescents. I've always been happy with the results, but I don't have any photos of the turned blanks other than on the final assembled pens.

Kenny Durrant

I use the water base acrylic paint sold at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Brush on and when dry proceed with the next step. They come in all sorts of colors and shades. Now that I'm into engraving my own pens I'll look into the metallic colors.

jttheclockman

I was just looking at some Testors enamel and wondered if anyone had used paints besides standard colors. Someone must have tried this previously. If so, what was the outcome of metallics, fluorescents, or whatever else you may have tried? Obviously, the results will differ based on the blank colors and transparency, but I was just looking for a general comparision. Pictures would be great.
Not quite sure what you are asking but if it has to do with painting tubes or inside translucent blanks then of course we all do it. Choosing a color can change the look of a blank easily. There have been many examples shown here. One that I shown numerous times is this one. This is a Trustone blank called Mexican Agate. The sample on the left is with white on the blank inside. The double colored sample is a reddish brown on the lower end and the upper end is the metallic blue that I show the can used. The pen and letter opener are the final results of using that blue metalic. Now many would not even think of using blue with that reddish orange blank but it works. Black would have darkened it too much and lost the veining. The problem now adays and I brought this up in a separate thread is the price of Testors has skyrocketed and out of my price range so I will use a high heat paint from Home Depot.
Copy of IMGP0296.JPG

Copy of IMGP0392.JPG

sorcerertd

John, I don't know why you decided to go with blue for that blank, but it definitely worked very well.

I'm mostly curious if the metallics make any difference and how much the brighter colors show through.

I remember someone had made a tube painted in rings of multiple colors to show what a difference it made in the end result of the blank. Either that or a blank of different colored bands to see what difference the color of the tube made. It was a pretty cool idea, but there's just no way to do it with all the blanks and colors out there. I guess I'll get a feel for it after doing enough of them.

jttheclockman

I do not think the metallic had anything to do with it other than it was the right color. I tried black but it washed out all the white streaking and most of the lighter orange colors so just was looking for something lighter. That is what I had. I also remember years ago someone here tried something similar and it just stuck in my head. Being here for as long as I Have I have seen many pens posted here. Some ideas stick with you and I think that one did with me.

You really do not have to have all colors on a stick, just the main ones on a color wheel. You can get an idea and then just darken or lighten the color. I know there were a few people here that painted up a stick and I think Ed at Exotics has a video on one he made. The thing I will tell you is even if you drill a blank and try the stick idea, when you turn the blank down it can look even different. So many times people will turn an end to use as a sample.

Top Bottom