Padouk Coin Dish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from monophoto

monophoto

I pawed through the 'shorts' bin at a nearby hardwood dealer a couple of weeks ago and found a short length of 4-quarter padouk. It had some cracks and flaws, but I figured that I could get a bunch of pen blanks and perhaps a few tea lights, dishes, yarn caddys or even shawl pins/rings out of it.

Here's one of the first pieces I produced - a coin dish to take to our son when we visit him in a couple of months. The finish is a Russ Fairfield recipe - two applications of a 'long-oil varnish' made from equal quantities of alkyd spar varnish, tung oil and turpentine and applied off the lathe, allowing it to soak in for about an hour, and then wiping off the excess.

Attachments

• Padouk Coin Dish small.JPG
    Padouk Coin Dish small.JPG
    646.3 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Beautiful turning Louie!!! I've never turned Padouk before but now I'm going to try and find a plank or two to make a couple of blanks. I've never heard of your 'special' finish before but have used spar varnish before and was quite pleased with it for outdoor use since it is basically weather proof. Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

Top Bottom