Padauk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I posted earlier that I was no longer allergic to padauk. Well, I spoke too soon. Although it's not nearly as bad as in the past, I've been getting minor rashes on my neck, inside my elbows, and on my eyelids of all places. I fear that as in the past, it will just keep getting worse the more I work with it. But I'm in the middle of making 11 pens as Christmas presents for co-workers, and I really don't want to start over with a different wood. So I got a pair of splash goggles, a face shield, a gator to cover my neck, and put poison oak/ivy pre-contact lotion inside my elbows. Hopefully that will get me through. 9 down, 2 to go!

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Installing a DC system really helps if you don't already have one. But a fairly good and simple alternative is having a fan over the lathe at some place to blow the dust directly away from your hands and body.

qquake

Or I could just stop turning woods I'm allergic to. Don't have a DC system, and I'm afraid a fan would make make a (bigger) mess.

qquake

Got them all done, now I need to engrave them. There will be a total of 11, but I already finished one.

Attachments

• 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 93

jttheclockman

Nicely done. But have to say there are better woods to use if this is a health problem. That is not a spectacular wood and will darken with time. It does nice when freshly done but will lose that color with time. Not sure if risking health is worth the effort. But for your efforts you did well and they should be well received. Hope those who do get know the pain you went through and cherish them even more.

SteveJ

One of my wife's favorite pens is one out of padauk that I turned for her years ago. She uses it almost everyday and it is still beautiful even though it has darkened some. Sorry you are allergic. Padauk also makes a nice accent when segmenting.

PenPal

I use a fan vented to atmosphere directly above the lathe as well as at the rear of the turning,I resist terribly strong suction I am most interested in removing dust and fumes etc.

Peter.

Top Bottom