Padauk with sandwiched hard maple and plastic centerbands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wmcullen

Wmcullen

Just finished making holiday gifts for co-workers.
Once a year it's fun to settle on a design and churn out a large set.
This one is padauk with a custom centerband of hard maple and two kinds of plastic chips.
bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

Thanks for looking,
- Cullen

PS- I just wrote a longer post with pictures that detail how I made a lot of these centerbands. I put it at the end of this post.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am a fan! I love the material choices as well as the design. Some of my longest-lasting (still in weekly use after 12 years) pens are simple segmented slimlines. Well done and thanks for sharing. 👏 👏 👏

Woodchipper

Very nice. I like it when the members get away from plain vanilla. May I borrow the pattern? Have some ideas along the line.
May I mention Don Ward's book on Slimlines? All kinds of modifications. Can't remember the exact title but worth the $$$.

Wmcullen

What did you use for finish?
Thanks Steve!
I sanded through 600 grit, then used EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax and Shellawax. (This is my standard recipe... nothing fancy.)
The inexpensive plastic chips in the centerband do require a little special treatment because the wood can handle heat friction better than the plastic. So the last two stages of finishing really make the colors pop nicely but I try not to apply too much pressure so the plastic stays cool enough to introduce zero warping. ; )

May I borrow the pattern?
Absolutely. The thing I appreciate most about this website is the confluence of ideas. I like the story of the artist who said he was desperately "trying" to steal ideas from others but kept failing miserably by introducing his own personality and influence and coming up with something "inadvertently original."
Thanks for the book recommendation!

Top Bottom