Padauk Plate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

First attempt at turning a plate. This one is 8.25" diameter Padauk. Turned from a section of a 5/4 board.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Plate - Padauk 1.jpg
    Plate - Padauk 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Plate - Padauk 2.jpg
    Plate - Padauk 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Beautiful plate. I really like the grain and color.
If you plan on using it you should apply some mineral oil and allow it to really soak in, then it can be washed. I use myrtle plates for eating and they are oiled regularly and still hold up well and it's been years.

rdunn12

You said turned from sections of a 5/4 board??Could you elaborate on that??Were they glued up sections?Just curious.Really nice work I am thinking of turning a few myself thats why I am asking.

THarvey

You said turned from sections of a 5/4 board??Could you elaborate on that??Were they glued up sections?Just curious.Really nice work I am thinking of turning a few myself thats why I am asking.

Sorry the "s" was a typo. The original board is 9" wide. I cut a section 9" long. Used a bandsaw to rough out a circle.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great form and wood selection. I really like the contrast between the heartwood and the sap wood.

I love the look of Padauk, but don't love working with it. I always end up looking like a refugee from a Cheetos factory.

THarvey

Looks great. Nice grain in that one. Since you have a board I assume you are going to make a set now.

Did my wife put you up to that? :biggrin:

The plate was turned from some of the left overs from another project. If I had turned the plate first, she might have got a set.

Rfturner

I love the constrast betweent heart wood and sapwood. I love the smell that Paduak has, I have made several pens from it and have thought of purchasing an entire board from a local supplier

Fred

Excellent form, shape, and use of leftovers (not the food kind either). Get more wood and make SWMBO a complete set. Get enough that all the pieces match ... you can use the original one as a pattern.

Top Bottom