Padauk is gorgeous

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brailsmt

brailsmt

This is a pen I made for a customer that happens to be a professional photographer. I threw this in as an extra to the order since she'll be sharing my work with her clients. This is padauk fitted with a black titanium cigar kit from Woodcraft. The finish is 6 coats of Dr.'s Woodshop Pens Plus after sanding to 4000 grit, then sanding up to 12000 after the finish is applied. Turned out to be one of the better pens I've made to date. The pictures don't even do justice how vibrtant this wood is. I made her a matching pepper mill and another pen, all from Padauk. My workshop/apartment looked like a martian landscape when I was done. These are pictures she took and sent back.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Lovely !! The surface "features" have always put me off Padauk. . But you seem to have very nicely worked to enhance them and avoid sanding dust buildup in the crevices. . I can see that I should develop and refine my Padauk techniques. . It certainly has attractive color appeal with the hardware you chose.

jttheclockman

Good luck keeping that color. It will darken over time. Using a finish with UV protector in it will help some. Tough wood to keep sanding dust out of grain. Looks like you did a good job.

brailsmt

Lovely !! The surface "features" have always put me off Padauk. . But you seem to have very nicely worked to enhance them and avoid sanding dust buildup in the crevices.

Tough wood to keep sanding dust out of grain. Looks like you did a good job.

I liberally applied denatured alcohol between each grit to remove the dust. Slowed things down, but worth it.

Another Padauk example

Hi all. New to the forums today. Saw the Padauk pen and wanted to share another example. The discussion regarding sawdust buildup is no joke. I found that between each grit, a soft bristle natural hair brush easily removed the sawdust from the grooves, and a light pass with a dry paper towels removed residual before moving to the next grit up. thought I would share, even though this was a coffee scoop and not a pen. Similar technique, just a different shape. Coffee scoop #1.jpg
Coffee scoop #2.jpg

Dieseldoc

Lance:

Your scoop looks really nice. I think we all have had used different ways to finish Padauk, so after reading what others are doing one thing came to me on trying different approach. Today at this time I have two pens blanks in the pot with cactus juice, so lets see what happen when Paduak is stabilized.

Will report findings this week.
Stay tuned!!!

Cheers

Charlie

Last edited:
Top Bottom