Padauk box with maple lid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

Just finished this today. Padauk body/finial with a maple lid. Sanded to 600, EEE, then buffed on the Beall system. I've made somewhere between 5-10 boxes now, this one by far is my best and favorite. It's a gift for a lady at my job, I hope she likes it as much as I do. The finial could be better, but it's my first. Ya gotta start somewhere!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really like this Jay. I love the combination of Padauk and Maple - one I use a lot for my stuff.

The profile is excellent and the finial is also very attractive.

This may be the best work I have seen from your efforts.

Well done.

Is it hollowed out to match the outer counters (more or less), Jay?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

It's not quite a hollowform. The cavity goes about halfway to the wings. I don't have a swan neck hollowing tool, just the articulating head from Sorby. I've been eyeing one from Easywood though.

I like the combination of woods. Did you top coat before you polished it out with anything??? Nice turning. Thanks for showing.:):)

Thank you. No finish, just 2 coats of Mylands sealer knocked back with 0000 then the Beall. BLO makes Padauk far too dark and I didn't want to wait for Antique Oil to fully cure anyhow. EEE made the grain pop sufficiently. IMO the Beall did a fantastic job, it was my first time using it.

I really like this Jay. I love the combination of Padauk and Maple - one I use a lot for my stuff.

The profile is excellent and the finial is also very attractive.

This may be the best work I have seen from your efforts.

Well done.

Thank you Mark! I have to agree, I don't think there is any doubt that this is the best work I've done. It took awhile, but I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
I like the combination of woods. Did you top coat before you polished it out with anything??? Nice turning. Thanks for showing.
Thank you. No finish, just 2 coats of Mylands sealer knocked back with 0000 then the Beall. BLO makes Padauk far too dark and I didn't want to wait for Antique Oil to fully cure anyhow. EEE made the grain pop sufficiently. IMO the Beall did a fantastic job, it was my first time using it.

Again nice job. Well if you did not put a seal coat on it there is a good chance it will darken anyway with UV light. That is the nature of that wood.

Top Bottom