Overlay pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Latest pen out of the shop: fountain pen made from vintage cellulose acetate and argentium. This took me a few weekends to get done, as the barrel overlay did not seem to want to cooperate at all, which resulted in melted parts and subsequent repairs while I was trying to do all the soldering. It's identical in material combination to my last one, but is a bit longer as it is converter fed rather than piston fed, and needed a bit more length to accommodate a converter. The overlay is just a simple linear theme with some arcing lines, and is flipped when you rotate the pen 180 degrees. I'm having a lot of fun with overlays (when they work out), and have gotten a whole lot more accomplished with soldering, even more so than when I was actually a metalsmithing student back in college!
A13DB632-1FDA-4A63-90FA-EF0078E35338.jpeg
ED397B06-24CD-4203-8733-04E52E3441C8.jpeg
BEF07B6C-C219-420D-94A1-029E035DBE55.jpeg
6D7A6F7C-2D8A-40ED-8B70-EADE83A07E71.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

Outstanding!
Is the overlay glued or is it a friction fit to the barrel?
Thanks! The finial is screw-on, and holds the overlay in place. That way it's easy to get off if need be. I am not a fan of using glue unless I absolutely have to!

magpens

Lots of features to adore here .... I particularly like the design of the clip with the center "speer" .

The silver certainly is an outstanding complement to the vintage colors.

Superbly done, John !!!! . Thanks for showing and inspiring us yet AGAIN !!

Lucky2

It is a nice looking pen, but it is not a pen I would want to own. Personally, I love the color and everything about the blank, but I'm sorry, I don't care for the overlay. To me, it kind of distracts from what would be a beautiful pen, without any dressing it up in that manner.
Len

jalbert

It is a nice looking pen, but it is not a pen I would want to own. Personally, I love the color and everything about the blank, but I'm sorry, I don't care for the overlay. To me, it kind of distracts from what would be a beautiful pen, without any dressing it up in that manner.
Len
The guy who bought it will be most pleased you did not want it.

Lucky2

John, I didn't mean to insult or upset you with my reply, and I apologize if I have. I just don't care for a lot of bling. To me, bling just makes items more fragile, and a lot harder to clean. There's usually places where you can't get behind the bling, to remove any dust, dirt or whatever. Another part of my reason for not liking bling, is all of the extra time it takes to remove the bling (if possible) and to then reapply it properly.

Len

Top Bottom