Overlapping Center Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
14: Overlapping Center Band
last post: 13: Miter touch
p14.19.jpg

The crowns worn by the Doges (Dukes) of Venice served as loose inspiration for this center band shape.
p14.20.jpg
The Problem
I wanted a center band to curve around part of the bottom section of a pen. I wanted the bottom to turn inside the center band. I also needed to drill two different sized holes into the center wood.

My Process
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
1. I picked contrasting wood colors: dark rosewood and hard maple.
p14.01.jpg

2. Using the chop saw I cut two slabs of maple at different thicknesses (top-0.2"; bottom- 0.45").
I drilled 1/4" holes into the thinner top piece and 3/8" holes into the bottom.
p14.04.jpg

3. Precision isn't always my strong suit and I decided the alignment of these two pieces had to be perfect.
I made a "centering guide" using my 3D printer consisting of a 1/4" dowel on top of a 3/8" dowel (pictured in white).
While there must be an easier, better, smarter way to do this I stopped looking when the 3D print option worked so well.
p14.06.jpg

4. The pieces were wood glued together in perfect alignment and clamped.
(I'm proud of myself for remembering to remove the centering guide before the glue dried! ;) )
p14.07.jpg

5. After it dried, I cut an angle on the bandsaw.
p14.08.jpg

6. The center band's large hole is 3/8" in diameter and 0.45" deep. Using calipers and checking often I carved the top of one of the segments to fit.
p14.02.jpg

7. And then I shaped the rest of the rosewood.
p14.03.jpg

8. The upper part of the center band with a 1/4" hole slid onto the mandrel...
p14.09.jpg

... and the lower part with the 3/8" hole held the pen's bottom segment perfectly.
p14.10.jpg

9. Rough shaping.
p14.11.jpg

10. The center band was angular. I wanted it curvier and decided to try something new.
I took an unfinished blank and wrapped masking tape around it a few times before attaching a few inches of sandpaper.
p14.12.jpg

11. I put this between my pen segments to make a mini-spindle sander.
p14.14.jpg

12. But unlike a spindle sander the "tail" of the sandpaper slapped as it went around smoothing the upper edge. Holding it wasn't comfortable but didn't hurt. I'm not advocating anyone else do this, just sharing what I did.
(I turned off my dust collection system for this step because I just know what would have happened otherwise! ;))

p14.15.jpg

p14.16.jpg

p14.17.jpg

13. I sanded and finished everything in stages.
p14.18.jpg

Summary
I've been sketching and pondering this design since last summer. It's nice to finally see it.
Thanks for looking!

- Cullen

Centering Guide
CenterFlueBrace1.zip
contains an *.obj file.
This is super simple geometry but, as always, I'm happy to share in case it's useful.
I'm fairly certain 2 minutes after posting this I'll find an 8 cent piece of hardware at HD that accomplishes the same thing.
Don't be bashful about volunteering a better substitute if you know one.
p14-21-jpg.302075

Attachments

• p14.21.jpg
    p14.21.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 403
  • CenterGlueBrace1.zip
    3 KB · Views: 104
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

This is quite an amazing innovation, Cullen !!!

You really are doing some pioneering work !!! . . Thank you for your creative contributions ..... Very inspirational !!!

I was interested in your turning off your dust collection system ..... pondering why ..... and then it dawned on me !!! :D :D :D

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Again... Very nice. William - I am a big fan, thank you for your contributions... IAP needs to keep new members, appreciate what they contribute, and be open to their questions and contributions. Thank you for your innovations.

sorcerertd

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong - definitely not wrong (nobody got hurt, right?)
unique or common - pretty unique to me (not a bad thing at all)
in case it's interesting - I find your innovations to be interesting at the very least, if not downright inspiring.
I suppose the Papal Mitre is a bit bulky for a centerband. ;)
Keep that spirit of adventure. The detailed descriptions you share of your processes are fantastic.

Wmcullen

Truly the feedback means a lot. Thanks all for taking the time to write!!
The encouragement is priceless and greatly appreciated.

I was interested in your turning off your dust collection system ..... pondering why ..... and then it dawned on me !!! :D :D :D
Mal- Thanks for pondering! I didn't mean to insert any riddles... that was lazy writing on my part.
As you figured out I was sure if I didn't turn off my DC the small piece I was working freehand would have gotten sucked in, pulverized, and spat out before I could blink. :oops:

- Cullen

Top Bottom