Overhead Lathe Lighting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephanie

I am looking to purchase a light for over my lathe so I can see better. Suggestions on that you are using that works well would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Laguna Revo 12|16 Midi Lathe and I know they sell their own light, but dang it is expensive.

Thanks for your help,
Stephanie.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Hey Stephanie,
Some of the long fluorescent like fixtures using LED's and hang from chains work great. This puts out a lot of light. Nice part is that the lathe won't throw shavings straight up so it's rare you'll have to clean it. Example I link to isn't the only one. Shop around and you might find a better price.

1695373927585.png

Last edited:

randyrls

Yep; I bought a TON of led lights at Costco. These are double light tubes that put out a lot of light. I have one directly over my lathe. The tubes are plastic so do not have the breakage danger that glass tubes have. Back when I bought these the price was $25 but once they caught on the prices went sky high, nb isn't increasing supply supposed to reduce prices?

Rob H

I put one of these above mine and it's very bright.

BFT LED High Bay Light UFO LED Lighting 100W 15,000LM 5000K 1-10V Dimmable,400W HID/HPS Equiv.5'Cable with US Plug,IP65 Commercial Shop Factory Warehouse Workshop Garage Barn Gym Lighting Fixtures

61j0P-t+tUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Woodchipper

I have several LED lights from Harbor Freight in the basement and shop. Over the lathe is an old desk lamp that is secured to the wall. It swivels and is on a flexible arm to get close the the lathe. Need to take photos for the forums.

BCnabe

I have an old articulating arm light that works well. I like the flexibility of bringing the light close to the turning at a low angle so I can see any potential scratches.

I have also had a flex arm LED light with a magnetic base but the light was small (about 3" diameter) and I found that it was bright enough but the lighted area wasn't large enough. It was more like a spot light. It works okay for a pen but if I'm doing a pepper grinder it doesn't give consistent light on the whole turning.

So, depending on what you're needing, be careful that the light is large enough and diffused enough for the project you're turning.

derekdd

Like many of the fellas, I bought a bunch of LED lights that daisy chain together and hang from the rafters on chains so you can adjust their height.

If you go that route, they say how many lumens they put out on the box. The HF lights were cheaper but didn't put out as many lumens as the ones I got from Home Depot.

I'm using a PSI Commander lathe currently that comes with a flex neck incandescent bulb. It's okay but not great. You are right about the Laguna light. It is a high quality accessory but dang is it expensive!

Stephanie

I use one of these circle leds with a magnifying glass and flexible arm. $23. Clamp it nearby and get light where you need it depending on the task. The magnifier comes in handy for these older eyes. I wear a full respirator with CA and so don't have the benefit of my readers. The magnifier helps.
I really like this idea. I have the old eyes myself. Two pairs of glasses, driving/tv & computer. Neither are good enough to have a clear view of my pen work. I have a ton of overhead lights, I may have to switch some out as I have some that are tubes and some that are plastic LED's. Did it take a bit to get use to?

Stephanie

I have an old articulating arm light that works well. I like the flexibility of bringing the light close to the turning at a low angle so I can see any potential scratches.

I have also had a flex arm LED light with a magnetic base but the light was small (about 3" diameter) and I found that it was bright enough but the lighted area wasn't large enough. It was more like a spot light. It works okay for a pen but if I'm doing a pepper grinder it doesn't give consistent light on the whole turning.

So, depending on what you're needing, be careful that the light is large enough and diffused enough for the project you're turning.
This sounds like my exact issue. I bought one of those smaller flex lights that is magnetic, but I have the same issue you mention. I have a ton of overhead lighting that I do not want to change, perfect for everything else. Just need something specific for lighting up my lathe.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If I can offer a suggestion: Of course LED lights, but watch out for the diffused light covers, or multi-LEDs in a strip such as this:
61NDASPfP9L._AC_SL1005_.jpg

In general these may be good or even great bulbs, but the multiple dots of light will reflect on a very shiny finish and reflect as a "1000 points of light" in a manner of speaking. It will be pretty. However, if you are to the point that you want to know if you have a perfect finish, a small pin hole here or there will be hidden by all the different reflections from different aspects, and all the pika-pika light spikes on the finish can mask small imperfections from being seen well.

Many lights will have LEDS like this, but the covers that blend all the lights so that a strip looks as one solid light will allow you to see the whole of the finish more consistently. At least this has been my personal experience.

ALSO, get 5000K or as close to daylight color if you are persnickety about colors. Warm colors, even 4100K will hide or prevent colors from being seen well. 4100K works for many people, but if you do segments and want to know how well one color mates with another, 5000K is better overall. I used to complain that 5000K color had changed in the last 10 years, then I had my cataracts removed and suddenly 5000K was perfect again! :cool: :)

Last edited:

KMCloonan

I also have the Laguna REVO 1216 - I splurged and got the adjustable LED light - not the round one, the long rectangular one.

The first one I got stopped working shortly after I got it (bad switch). I wrote to them immediately, and I had a new light less than a week later. They did not ask me to return the defective light, so I tore it apart, replaced the switch and gave it to a buddy to use. It is still working.

I like the light a lot - it's easy to position directly over the work, and you can adjust the "temperature" of the light from warm (yellow-ish) to cool (blue-ish). You can also adjust the brightness - the highest setting it quite bright. I usually set it in the middle of the temperature, and middle on the brightness.

I like that the light looks like it is part of the lathe - they have a mounting plate you use to attach it to the back of the headstock.

My 2 cents.

Ray-CA

I do about 98% of my turning wheeling my lathe into the driveway and using sunlight. On the occaision that I need to do some finish work after dark, I have a pair of the Harbor Freight LED shop lights on the ceiling and use this on the power end of the lathe...https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lumen-led-rechargeable-magnetic-handheld-foldable-slim-bar-work-light-59536.html

Ray

monophoto

I have a Turncrafter lathe that came with the articulated worklight. I use small LED flood light instead of the recommended 60w incancescent lamp. I don't recall the rating of the LED, but draws less current than a 60w incandescent lamp while putting out much more light.

I also have an 860 lumen LED bulb in of those aluminum parabolic reflectors hanging over the tailstock end of the lathe. The result is very similar to a photographic setup with one 'strong' light, and one weaker 'fill' light - the strong light on the headstock casts shadows that are filled in by the tailstock light.

In my shop (and also in my garage) I have several of the 5000L Harbor Freight LED strips. My experience is that they are great for general area lighting. I've thought about hanging another one over the lathe, but as they say - if it ain't broke - - -.

This appears to be an older thread, and I haven't been on here much this week...

I have a series of "shop" lights hanging around my shop, with one directly over the lathe.... don't know if it is standard fluorescent or one of the newer LED bulbs... last bowl I lost off the lathe went straight up and took out the tube in the fixture, so may have replaced with one of the LED fixture I had... I also use a shaded radial arm type of light that is attached to the wall and I can move it about to direct light to where I need more.

Top Bottom