Over use of the "quotes" soapbox

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txcwboy

I just had to say something and I think I can get away with it in the area.:D I see more people quoting someone elses quotes that turns a 5 word answer into a 2/3 page answer ! Its ridiculous at times ! When instead of addressing the person that answered them they quote the entire message then answer the 5 words.Bandwidth just wasted.There are is more quoting going on, on this site than many of the ones I visit combined ! Sometimes I see 4 or 5 quotes in one message! I just dont get it I guess.Im not trying to step on anyones toes by at times it looks like a bunch of High School kids sending IMs to each other ! :D We need quote police ! LOLLLLLLLLL Ok I ll step off my box now.Thanks for listening ! hehehe

Dave

JimGo

Originally posted by txcwboy
<br />I just had to say something and I think I can get away with it in the area.[:D] I see more people quoting someone elses quotes that turns a 5 word answer into a 2/3 page answer ! Its ridiculous at times ! When instead of addressing the person that answered them they quote the entire message then answer the 5 words.Bandwidth just wasted.There are is more quoting going on, on this site than many of the ones I visit combined ! Sometimes I see 4 or 5 quotes in one message! I just dont get it I guess.Im not trying to step on anyones toes by at times it looks like a bunch of High School kids sending IMs to each other ! [:D] We need quote police ! LOLLLLLLLLL Ok I ll step off my box now.Thanks for listening ! hehehe

Dave

What?

Dario

Dave,

You certainly have a point but it is partly due to the nature of the forum structure (I think).

In others where there are thread branching and you can answer a post directly under it, much less quote is needed.

beamer

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />
<br />I just had to say something and I think I can get away with it in the area.[:D] I see more people quoting someone elses quotes that turns a 5 word answer into a 2/3 page answer ! Its ridiculous at times ! When instead of addressing the person that answered them they quote the entire message then answer the 5 words.Bandwidth just wasted.There are is more quoting going on, on this site than many of the ones I visit combined ! Sometimes I see 4 or 5 quotes in one message! I just dont get it I guess.Im not trying to step on anyones toes by at times it looks like a bunch of High School kids sending IMs to each other ! [:D] We need quote police ! LOLLLLLLLLL Ok I ll step off my box now.Thanks for listening ! hehehe

Dave

What?

He said he hates how people abuse the quote functionality.

JimGo

Originally posted by beamer
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Oh, thanks. I was really confused.

JimGo

Dave,
I hope you can take a joke! If it's too annoying, I'll go in and delete my posts. I actually agree - some of the threads are unnecessarily long because of the excessive quotes. I think it stems from certain people having found out that if you click the reply with quote button, you can change font colors/font sizes/etc., add URL's, and do a whole bunch of other things pretty easily, without having to learn the Forum Codes for those things. Then the just forget to delete the quoted text. Others get confused because of the embedded quotes and the Forum Codes tags and don't know which ones can/should be deleted.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
... certain people having found out that if you click the reply with quote button, you can change font colors/font sizes/etc., add URL's, and do a whole bunch of other things pretty easily, without having to learn the Forum Codes for those things.
There is a link under the last post of every page that says "Reply To Topic" that puts you in a reply window with all the font controls, etc. You don't have to use the "reply with quote" icon to get there.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jeff
<br />
... certain people having found out that if you click the reply with quote button, you can change font colors/font sizes/etc., add URL's, and do a whole bunch of other things pretty easily, without having to learn the Forum Codes for those things.
There is a link under the last post of every page that says "Reply To Topic" that puts you in a reply window with all the font controls, etc. You don't have to use the "reply with quote" icon to get there.
You don't have to use the "reply with quote" icon to get there.
You can also insert a quote from a poat by hi lighting the words you wish to qote and hit the third box from the right in the selection section. once you have pulled up the reply page

angboy

<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

I know I'm guilty of it at times- I'll try to stop!! [;)][;)]

DocStram

Originally posted by angboy
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Geeeezeee, I've never thought of doing quotes until Dave gave me the idea! This really is my first time for doing it.

Actually, I like when people link there comments to quotes. It really helps reference what they're reacting to.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DocStram
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Geeeezeee, I've never thought of doing quotes until Dave gave me the idea! This really is my first time for doing it.

Actually, I like when people link there comments to quotes. It really helps reference what they're reacting to.

A long time ago I suggested a "re:" feature in the threads so if a comment was referring to an original post it wouldn't be out of context.
Jeffs reply was if a thread gets that far off course then there is no hope for it.
Personally I like to see who's post a particular reply is referring to.
Sometimes a question is asked within a thread and the anbsawer gets posted but it is sometimes difficult to find the original or secondary question.
Makes sense to me.

txcwboy

Yes I agree CT but you can type a few letters of their name to show that instead of quoting( see I addressed your comments w/o quotes and you know its for you) I know a lot of smart a**'s replied but the article in question could be so much easier to read if there wasnt 14 requoting quotes I think. At times If the article is so full of them I just give up on it and move on.

Dave

Skye

<br />

Dave

What?

That was so predictable.

<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

And I completely understand.

<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Ah, I thought you were kidding. Now I know. Good deal.

<br />

Yep, and you can also quote someone and strip out all the extra content that doesn’t apply to the reply.

<br />

Also change colors, unless you’re the kind of person whose whole friggin post format is already a cry for attention.

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

You should, I expect more from you!

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Yeah, it can be useful, but some people have been know to abuse it. Imagine that?!

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

<b>Makes sense to me.</b>

Ditto. (Case in point for quote editing)

<b>I WIN!</b>

Rifleman1776

On some other forums I belong to, it is a common practice to copy and paste and say something like:
Dave said, &lt;&lt;&lt;I see more people quoting someone elses quotes&gt;&gt;&gt;
It works and does save bandwidth.

RogerGarrett

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Me too.........[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Best,
Roger Garrett

Dario

Originally posted by fiferb
<br />[:D][:D][:D]Funniest thread I've seen in awhile. I can't stop laughing.

Thats good! We can use laughter every now and then...especially how other threads are going right now [;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by fiferb
<br />[:D][:D][:D]Funniest thread I've seen in awhile. I can't stop laughing.

Thats good! We can use laughter every now and then...especially how other threads are going right now [;)]
Which thread are you referring to?
Where?
Link?

beamer

<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

You're quite welcome. I'm always glad to help a friend out!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?
Which post are you referring to?

Skye

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

A would assume Jim considering:

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Penmonkey

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

That's enough!!! NO MORE!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

No more of what?

beamer

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

No more of what?

What's enough?

NavyDiver

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

I agree.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

I agree.

With who?

beamer

<br />
Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Dave

What?

Who?

I agree.

With who?

That's 'whom', son. With whom do they agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom