Over the weekend...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cwasil

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwasil

This a few of the pens I got completed over the weekend. I did the blue buckeye burl cigar based on Yo-Yo's interesting shapes, several designer pens including the shown aromatic cedar pen, a bunch of slimlines including the shown afzelia burl and a couple of ligero's using Ilikewood cocobolo's and one bethlehem olivewood.

Quick question...has anyone experience cracking of JOW or BOW. I've made 6 pens out of JOW and so far 3 now have a huge gaping crack in them. While turning I notice small hairline cracks (nothing really unusual) so I filled them with CA, like I normally would, and finished them with, I think, Dougles technique of Behlens. Anyway these small little cracks have grown into a full blow faultline. There is no way to salvage...I just have to turn and finish a new 1/2 of the pen and hope that it matches the original 1/2.

2005411204559_DSC00112.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Olive wood is heat sensitive because of the oils in the wood... to keep my pens from developing cracks, I drill then and then let them sit a day... glue in the tubes, trim and turn them to shape.. sand very lightly so as not to develop heat stress or cracks, then I let them sit again for a day and DO NOT.. I REPEAT, DO NOT use a friction polish on them... you are asking for heat cracks... I only finish olive woods in CA or lacquer...

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
Nice work!

I'll have to disagree with "Old Griz" - I only use friction polish on all my GOW! Hut two sticks.

Now as to cracking the wood you have is young and probably the moisture content high - ie over 12%. I do not wash the blank in alcohol, and I also bring more natural oil to the surface by a final light buffing with a soft cloth and the shavings. Be sure not to overheat as tom says this will cause cracking later - you are driving out the water and sap oils.

You can rescue the pen! Take the last remanent of your blank - put this on your sanding wheel, collect the dust, put thin CA glue into the cracks and back fill with the fine dust. You will have to do this a few times to build up layers, until proud of surrounding blank - then sand back - do not generate to much heat or you will melt out the CA.

I will be bringing out a rescue kit for OW - just got to get around to it!!

I hope this helps let me know, please

Good luck!!

dougle40

Great looking bunch of pens . While I haven't done much with BOW , the ones that I have done were with a friction polish and I haven't had any sort of problems at all .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom