Over the glasses magnifiers (jewelers loops)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm looking at buying some jewelers loops (magnifiers), the kind that go over you head and you look through with both eyes. If anyone has some ideas I'd be more than happy to hear what you have to say. I've seen all kinds from different suppliers but none get great reviews so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Are you thinking Opti - visors? I have been using them for years. I have 3 different ones in use. Each has a different strength lens, depending on what I am doing depends on which one is needed. I ve tried some of the others but always came back to opti -visors.

magpens

Tom,

You want to be very careful using other-than-prescribed eyewear at the lathe because you need to be fully aware of everything that is happening at the same time.

Jewellers' loupes are not really intended for use around moving machinery because they obscure your peripheral vision (things happening to the left and right side).

Sometimes I use a large magnifying glass mounted on a flexible arm but I twist it out of the direct line when the lathe is turning.

If you have an optometrist that you see regularly about your eyes (and possibly reading glasses) I would talk over with him/her what your needs might be. I know that costs money but it is well worth it to get a professional opinion of what you should use.

MRDucks2

Tom,

You want to be very careful using other-than-prescribed eyewear at the lathe because you need to be fully aware of everything that is happening at the same time.

Jewellers' loupes are not really intended for use around moving machinery because they obscure your peripheral vision (things happening to the left and right side).

Sometimes I use a large magnifying glass mounted on a flexible arm but I twist it out of the direct line when the lathe is turning.

If you have an optometrist that you see regularly about your eyes (and possibly reading glasses) I would talk over with him/her what your needs might be. I know that costs money but it is well worth it to get a professional opinion of what you should use.
Don't forget, Tom makes knives, too and looks like he does some fancy work on some of the bolsters and such.

Tom,

Not to worry Mal, this is not for lathe work and I do appreciate your warning and safety concerns. This will be used for work being done with a dremel tool only. I'm finding that I'm having a hard time seeing the smaller stuff and need to magnify it a bit. I do have a lighted magnifying lens for my scroll saw but it's way to big and cumbersome for what I'm looking at. What I'm looking for is something that allows me to wear my normal prescription glasses that you wear kind of like a face shield. I've got some idea here from others that I need to look into. Thanks again for pointing this out and your concern, it is appreciated.

Tom - The Optivisor style magnifiers are a great value, and work surprisingly well (not junk) - here's one for $19.95 with 4 lenses:

Best regards - Bob
Thanks Bob. You and Bobby hit a home run with these, this was exactly what I was looking for. I was told to stop spending money, not by my wife either, but at this price how wrong could I go. Thanks for the info and help.

darrin1200

Thanks Bob. You and Bobby hit a home run with these, this was exactly what I was looking for. I was told to stop spending money, not by my wife either, but at this price how wrong could I go. Thanks for the info and help.

Tom, I have a pair of these from Princess auto. Very inexpensive and work well for me.

Top Bottom