Out of the box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This pen started out as a lowly PSI brushed gold slimline. I got rid of the center band and made a closed end, segmented, over sized twist pen with a recessed clip and angle cut frenched final with gold insert. Main wood is spalted oak with blue malee trim. CA finish. For the newer pen turners. A Slimline doesn't have to look like a Slimline, and it is an inexpensive base kit to practice your skills on before moving on to more expensive kits. I could sell this pen for $5, cover my materials, make a small profit, write off the time as knowledge gained, and still tell the person receiving it that it is a one of a kind pen and they will never see another one like it. Or, you could charge $20 an hour labor, and sell the pen in this area for $25 or more. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (800x256).jpg
    DSCF0007 (800x256).jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF0009 (800x684).jpg
    DSCF0009 (800x684).jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Nice! That is just what I am into right now. I love the creativity you can have with the center band removed.

Kelly; Thank you for my one and only comment. I should have taken a photo with a regular Slimline next to this one to show the difference between the length and width of this pen. Also, it wasn't made to be the worlds most beautiful pen, just to show some of the things that could be done to a Slimline to make it a little different. If it weren't for the design on the clip, you would never guess it started out as a Slimline by looking at it. Thanks again, if I helped one person, it was worth the effort. Jim S

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Considering all the great modified slimline pens that have been posted recently, I'm either going to have to step up my game or I'll have a hard time holding on to my 22nd place finish in next year's Russ Fairfield contest.

Top Bottom