Out of sync

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Boy take a year off and the whole pen turning hobby becomes foreign again. Pulled a rookie mistake. Went to cast a pen the other day and thought all was fine put in pot and was proud of myself. Took out yesterday and stripped it down today. Find out I used the wrong stopper on the bottom of the tube and it filled half way up with resin. I knew it was iffy when I put it on to start but instead of going with the instinct I went ahead and cast it. Well that was a waste of time. :):):)

Man it is going to take some time to get all facets clicking again. Moral of story don't get sick. I know I am the only one this happened to so just warning others. :):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

So John, is it possible to drill it out and still use it? I've never cast anything, other than a Repala spinner, so I'm curious.

Glad you are feeling better,

Tomas

jttheclockman

So John, is it possible to drill it out and still use it? I've never cast anything, other than a Repala spinner, so I'm curious.

Glad you are feeling better,

Tomas

I did and will try it. But will also make another one when I cast another group. This is for a friend that I was suppose to complete last year but could not. Want to have a standby in case. What happens is it is hard to clean that far down and when you start scraping the sides with files and things you wear away the interior of the tube and then things are a slip fit. I maybe able to use some locktite to hold things but will see when I spin it. Trying to catch up on some promises.

My brother just gave me a 3 project order that he would like done and I also owe him a pen too. So I may have to put pen turning aside again for just a bit.

Last edited:

Curly

"Sometimes" you can tap them out with a punch. Downside is that the force you need to apply to break the resin free from the inside of the tube can also cause delaminating on the outside of the tubes.

gtriever

By coincidence, Beartooth Woods has just put their individual Pilot Reamers on sale. Even though I don't use a pen mill anymore, I ordered several of them in various sizes for removing glue from tubes. I have no idea if they'd work for your application or not.

Gary Beasley

I think if you try to punch it out you need to drill through the plug with an undersize bit avoiding the tube. Then when you run a punch or reamer into it there will be room for the resin to break away from the sides of the tube.

jttheclockman

"Sometimes" you can tap them out with a punch. Downside is that the force you need to apply to break the resin free from the inside of the tube can also cause delaminating on the outside of the tubes.

At first I tried this but realizing the force I was putting on it I shied away from that. I got about 95% out I think and cleaned it with a round file but the amount of brass I was taking off scares me. I was hoping when I was drilling it out the bit would grab the plug and spin it free but that did not happen. It is not that hard of a blank to remake. Just will have to steel another tube from another kit because they do not make extra tubes for this kit that I know of. Lesson learned here. I found the bag of silicone plugs that I usually use yesterday so that mistake will not happen again. Just those little things that can go wrong and usually do. :):)

jttheclockman

I think if you try to punch it out you need to drill through the plug with an undersize bit avoiding the tube. Then when you run a punch or reamer into it there will be room for the resin to break away from the sides of the tube.

Maybe I should have tried this but did not think of it. Thanks anyway. That Silmar stuck really well to the inside of the tube for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom