Our time here...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Greetings,

Just got back home from my 3 day stay at the luxurious Waukesha Memorial hospital.

Had the opportunity to enjoy this stay after suffering a heart attack.

Let me say this, please don't disregard any unusual physical body pains nor especially disregard them as aging.

I waited 3 days before worrying about this issue thinking I just pulled a muscle. Not so. Went to the to an ER and never saw so many people move like a race car pit stop.

Great, they only stabilized me and sent me off to a real hospital. Got there same thing, pit stop and raced me to surgery.

Lesson learned, our time is limited on this earth, Please take care of yourself, love your family and friends here at IAP and live every day as if you have little time left.

Thanks for listening.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Greetings,

Just got back home from my 3 day stay at the luxurious Waukesha Memorial hospital.

Had the opportunity to enjoy this stay after suffering a heart attack.

Let me say this, please don't disregard any unusual physical body pains nor especially disregard them as aging.

I waited 3 days before worrying about this issue thinking I just pulled a muscle. Not so. Went to the to an ER and never saw so many people move like a race car pit stop.

Great, they only stabilized me and sent me off to a real hospital. Got there same thing, pit stop and raced me to surgery.

Lesson learned, our time is limited on this earth, Please take care of yourself, love your family and friends here at IAP and live every day as if you have little time left.

Thanks for listening.
Agree wholeheartedly Wayne. Too many silly things to occupy our time instead of what really matters.

Be well.

KenB259

We all need to hear this. Thanks for reminding us and I hope you will enjoy a full recovery.

Kenny Durrant

So True Wayne. Thanks for reminding us. I remember as a kid my parents and grandparents were always talking about someone sick or passing away. Now that I'm old I'm seeing it first hand.

Dale Lynch

I better get started on that write-up, don't want ya kickin the bucket before its done. Glad to hear ya came through your heart attack.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Praying for you Wayne. I used to be one to say "grin and bear it" and one to ignore minor pains. But too many friends and even middle age have serious problems from ignoring "muscle pains" and more. It is better to be safe than sorry.

My wife and I both wear smart watches in which we can monitor our heart beats over 24 hours, monitor EKG also. LOML did not know her watch could do that (EKG) heart rhythm. When I told her it could back in January, she did it and every 3rd beat did not spike up as it should. To the heart doctor immediately. Found out LOML had a mild heart attack sometime in the recent past. Our watches have "Fall Dectector" that dials 911 and 4 emergency contacts if we do not turn the Fall Detector off within 60 seconds. I had it go off once, but got it cut off before 911 was dialed.

Take care of yourself Wayne, and everyone, listen to his advice.

jttheclockman

Good to hear you are OK now and you are correct about getting things checked. Can you tell us if you had a stent procedure or some other quick procedure because 3 days seems quick response. Did they now put you on a special diet or something like that. What were your symptoms. The older I get every little ache or pain I feel something is not right. I get a twitch around my heart I immediately start panicking. My brother and my Dad had heart issues. My younger sister had triple bypass surgery 3 years ago. But is doing fine now. I have had my bout also but not a heart attack. Scheduled for stress test in Sept. Dealing with some health issues now and it is making things difficult to get this house finished. I can see the finish line but about another year away.

Take it easy and listen to doctors.

Last edited:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Good to hear you are OK now and you are correct about getting things checked. Can you tell us if you had a stent procedure or some other quick procedure because 3 days seems quick response. Did they now put you on a special diet or something like that. What were your symptoms. The older I get every little ache or pain I feel something is not right. I get a twitch around my heart I immediately start panicking. My brother and my Dad had heart issues. I have had my bout also but not a heart attack. Scheduled for stress test in Sept. Dealing with some health issues now and it is making things difficult to get this house finished. I can see the finish line but about another year away.

Take it easy and listen to doctors.
Thanks John,
First, I'm fine only tired from the lack of sleep in the hospital from nurses waking me up every few hours.

It was a major vessel that needed to be repaired from an old stint (2006). 100% blockage.

Spent around 4 hours cutting grass and then after that was tight across my chest from shoulder to shoulder. Thought it was a pulled muscle.

Took Tylenol every 4-6 hours for a few days. Pain got progressivly worse. I was not able to stay still or relax was restless, often walking around to reduce stress.

I know from previous issues, we, men never want to see a doctor because they'll find something. It's a scary thing to consider pursuing.

I'll say this, the pain was not the standard so called heart or arm centric. There is not a standard pain location, just as women's pain is often unlike men's.

A twitch that is short lasting is common. But if the pain lasts longer, get to the ER. My mother, sister and uncle all had open heart surgery in the 1970's, my father died the night before surgery. He was afraid to have anything done earlier.

These days stints are most common. I was awake during procedure (16 minutes) no pain. It is really simple, this is my 4th stint. I'd do it again anytime.

Stress tests are not necessarily the solve all to determine heart health. I had mine 2 months before heart attack and passed with flying colors.

Taking a stress test is not terrible just lengthy mostly waiting about 4 hours. Worst thing is keeping your legs going on the treadmill at the speed they need.

Doc says an EKG is possibly more accurate. Most accurate test is to have a cathederisation, inserting the probe and just looking around.

Remember I'm not a doctor so all I am only stating my own experience.

Listen to your body, if it's an extended or unusual pain, call your doctor or 911.

Last edited:

magpens

Wayne . . . . thank you very much for this timely advice !

I am sorry to hear that you went through that experience.
But I am VERY glad to hear that you are able to communicate this experience with us.

We ALL need to hear what you wrote.

THANK YOU and PLEASE TAKE CARE !

We appreciate all you do . . . . words are inadequate at times like this ! ! !

jttheclockman

Thanks Wayne for the explanation. Glad they got things worked out. I brought up stress test because I had put this off for a few years now because of the pandemic so it is just time. Been going through a bunch of tests that I need to get caught up on because of the pandemic. Had a round of bloodclots that almost took me out about 10 years ago. Huge clots in my lungs and I just could not even walk because of pain in chest. Was going to wait till after a weekend because it was my turn to watch my Mom. My brother's wife who was a nurse told me I should not wait. Doctors told me I may not have made it through the weekend so I thank the Lord every day that I can put the feet on the floor when I get up in the morning. Alot different than when we were young. Thought we were invinsible.

MPVic

Thank you so much for sharing; it is a great reminder to pay attention to these symptoms. Pray that you are recovering comfortably & up and about soon.

Lew

Sad to hear about your experience but glad to hear you're ok. Our time here is limited so we need to make sure we make it as long as possible by following your advice. Thanks for the post on such an intimate subject

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Happy to hear that all turned out well, Wayne. We can't afford to lose our librarian & database guru!

SteveG

Wayne, it is good to hear that things are going well.

I will agree with all that Wayne indicated along with other precautionary suggestions posted. I am at the 8 week point, recovering after open chest surgery (double bypass). It started with chest pains while cutting the grass. No other indications prior to that. Surgery went fine, but it is typically an extended recovery/rehab process. Annual physical is a good idea, esp for us 'older' guys.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Glad to hear everything turned out fine for you.
Reminds me I need to get a physical. Haven't had a good one since 20?? when my PC Dr died from throat cancer. Have tried to find a new one I like but so far no one has measured up to him.
Did have a cardiac work up in 2020 before I had back surgery. Found out I had high blood pressure so I'm on medication for that. Dr said everything else looked fine.

Last edited:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Wayne, it is good to hear that things are going well.

I will agree with all that Wayne indicated along with other precautionary suggestions posted. I am at the 8 week point, recovering after open chest surgery (double bypass). It started with chest pains while cutting the grass. No other indications prior to that. Surgery went fine, but it is typically an extended recovery/rehab process. Annual physical is a good idea, esp for us 'older' guys.
Steve,

Sorry to hear about your heart attack.
Let me say I know it's a tough battle to travel but the results are wonderful.

Both my mother and sister had open heart surgery on their early 50's. My mother lived till she was 92 and my sister is 81. Your pain will subside and you'll be a new man.

This is the toughest time, you have been given another chance in life, love your family, stay positive, rest, eat well, laugh, remember to push yourself in therapy.

It's important to reach out to family and friends now. Stay connected, involved, and get some of this computer projects done. Your enemy is depression and lack of keeping busy. Work hard to fight that!

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Wayne

Sly Dog

A great cautionary tale, Wayne. I'm approaching a 1-year anniversary of a DVT that could have been a lot worse had I not heeded my wife's urging to see a doc after my calf swoll up suddenly. Glad to read that you are recovering well. Hope that continues.

Appreciate all you do for this site.

Russ

SteveJ

I'm so glad to hear you are doing okay. I've been dealing with a couple of issues which may have not been as serious if I had only spoken with my doctor sooner. (And I see him every three months but didn't say anything!)

A great cautionary tale, Wayne. I'm approaching a 1-year anniversary of a DVT that could have been a lot worse had I not heeded my wife's urging to see a doc after my calf swoll up suddenly. Glad to read that you are recovering well. Hope that continues.

Appreciate all you do for this site.

Russ
I agree with Russ on a great cautionary tale..... Wayne...Glad you are recovering and will continue to.
Russ..
I about 60 days past what I thought was either a DVT or a pulled muscle in my upper thigh... my thigh was swelling and so was the calf .... turned out I was having an episode of internal bleeding caused by a prescription of blood thinner... If I hadn't been worried about the DVT might have been worse... we do need to heed the ol' body... it will tell you when it need attention.

gimpy

Thanks for the reminder Wayne , So often we take our health for granite
as we age we need to be more aware and be mindful of the aches and to take
them more seriously

Glad you are doing well and take it easy for a while

howsitwork

Wayne

Glad you're still hanging in there.

Sorry to hear you've had to be "rebored" but glad all is improving.

Great advice to one and all, "if in doubt get checked out".

Rapid recovery and de stress ( suggest a dog they work great )

LouCee

I missed this, just seeing it now. Wayne, glad you didn't wait any longer. I also put things off thinking that it's probably not serious. Thank you for sharing and giving us the reminder not to ignore symptoms. Glad you're doing well!

Top Bottom