Other woodworking Jobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I was wondering what other woodworking jobs people have had

-I work for the company that made Mali pool cues (lost 1/2 of a finger there)
-Construction of course.
-I glued stair threads together
-Peeled logs for log cabins. Hard work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Jobs????? I worked with wood since I was about 7 when I help my Dad remodel our house and still doing that today on my own house. I also have a woodworking hobby, mainly scrollsawing but involves all tools imaginable. I know my way around tools and safety is always key. Built furniture, cabinets and the like. My day job for 43 years was Union Electrician.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Cut and split firewood with my dad growing up. Not technically a job, but kept the house warm and my parents let me live, so there's that. I got pretty good with an 8 pound maul, which I preferred over the hydraulic splitter because it was faster. Obviously I was young, dumb, and had a lot more energy back then.

Brandy

My dad just retired from his own business as a general contractor. My dad is a strong believer that girls can do anything boys can and I was "volunteered" on numerous occasions and worked for him for several years. I became a veterinary technician at an emergency/specialty hospital where the stress level is high. My dad saw that and drug me around to several stores buying me tools. He said "quit your job or find a hobby before you kill yourself" Since then I have inherited several of his tools (which I have learned he uses as a reason to buy new tools). My lathe is the only thing I have that he has no experience with and it's been fun showing him how to use it. We finally have something in common and our relationship has blossomed. It's really been a blessing.

EricRN

Nothing about this is a "job" for me. My grandpa was a contractor; my dad a mechanic. Both taught me a lot about working with my hands, and having something tangible to be proud of at the end of a day's work. But that's not what I do for a living now. I do this to decompress, relax, and keep my mind sharp. I enjoy what I do for a living (I'm a lawyer). But there's something to be said about having something tangible at the end of a couple (or more) hours' work.

MPVic

My dad just retired from his own business as a general contractor. My dad is a strong believer that girls can do anything boys can and I was "volunteered" on numerous occasions and worked for him for several years. I became a veterinary technician at an emergency/specialty hospital where the stress level is high. My dad saw that and drug me around to several stores buying me tools. He said "quit your job or find a hobby before you kill yourself" Since then I have inherited several of his tools (which I have learned he uses as a reason to buy new tools). My lathe is the only thing I have that he has no experience with and it's been fun showing him how to use it. We finally have something in common and our relationship has blossomed. It's really been a blessing.
Heartwarming story, Brandy - glad you two can relate to this wonderful craft.

Madman1978

Cut and split firewood with my dad growing up. Not technically a job, but kept the house warm and my parents let me live, so there's that. I got pretty good with an 8 pound maul, which I preferred over the hydraulic splitter because it was faster. Obviously I was young, dumb, and had a lot more energy back then.
Yes, I have done that as well. I once lived at a place where they sold cord firewood in 4-foot lengths. Was always a great workout.

Madman1978

Jobs????? I worked with wood since I was about 7 when I help my Dad remodel our house and still doing that today on my own house. I also have a woodworking hobby, mainly scrollsawing but involves all tools imaginable. I know my way around tools and safety is always key. Built furniture, cabinets and the like. My day job for 43 years was Union Electrician.
YOu know how it goes!

For the life of me, I cannot figure out my love of computers! Made a career of it and good $$$ but I love working with the wood now.

My father was a union carpenter and could build about anything he set his mind to... he never taught me a thing about carpentry... what very little I do know comes from watching him. After the Navy, I spent 40 years in traffic/transportation and logistic as first a cargo agent with a major airlines then as operations manager for a number of freight forwarding firms.
I took up wood turning about 20 years ago after I admired a bowl in an art gallery, mentioned to my wife "it would be nice if I knew how to do this" and she went home called my son and told him, "Your dad wants a lathe for Christmas"... He bought a Rigid spindle lathe (he knew as little about lathes as I did)... it's my opinion that wood turning is the most fun you can have with all your clothes on. :D

JohnU

I fell in love with wood working in high school shop. Has been a hobby ever since. Spent years with my scroll saw making crafts and intarsia. Then got into small furniture. Made lots of hope chests, tables, quilt racks and such. Have been helping my dad make display bases for his hobby and now full time job after his retirement ( taxidermist ). Home improvements have been a constant my entire life either on mine, or helping my dad or brother. Also built a few garden sheds, decks and a 30X60 building down back with my father in law. Since I retired last year (27 years as a deputy sheriff) I've remodeled my basement, built a new shop area and my full time job is now making blanks for Ed and Dawn at exoticblanks. Next year I hope to build a new attached garage to the house. There just aren't enough hours in the day anymore.

PreacherJon

I've never really had a paying job that had to do with wood working. But I've done many jobs that deal with woodworking... including, decking, furniture making, wood turning, scrolling, roofing, cabinet work, barn work, finish work..... but never really paid for it.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. I've always been a do-it-yourself kind of guy. I think it came from my father and a big yellow do-it-yourself book from Reader's Digest that he gave me when I was in my teens. I did some computer programming and taught some electronics courses at an extension campus of the University of South Dakota, formerly known as Southern State Teacher's College. Then I went to work for Dale Electronics, Vishay Dale, Vishay for 37 years as an engineer, manager, and director. We designed and built about 90% of the manufacturing equipment for Vishay in-house in my department or in a department I managed. That's were I learned a lot about machine design, metal fabrication, electroplating, and a whole host of other engineering related disciplines. I've built decks, furniture, cabinets, toys, pens, and all other sorts of wood stuff over the years, but always as a DIY project, a repair project, or just as a hobby.

Thanks for posing the question. It has been very enjoyable reading everybody's responses.

Regards,
Dave

sbwertz

Brandy, I guess I was about seven years old when my dad sat me down and told me, "Never let ANYONE tell you that you can't do something just because you are a girl." I took it to heart. My grandfather taught me to use woodworking tools, and my dad helped me rebuild the engine in my first car.

howsitwork

Just enjoyed working with wood and metal from an early age. Dad died when I was 8 but Uncle Peter was an inspiration to me from an early age. Built his own 3 1/2" steam engine unit"mit ran then took us all on riders around a local track. I now have the engine and intend to finish the plate work! Note the word INTEND .

Had a go at wood turning on his lathe and wanted one, so waited, saved and got one. Keeps me sane after a day as a frontline pharmacist , as we're now called ( ?? can't help but wonder what a back line pharmacist does though ?) . Plus you get to buy all sorts of nice goodies to play with ! One of the few hobbies where you can enjoy and drink coffee and eat bacon at the same time ( although keeping the bacon buttie away from the chip stream is probably wise ) . Blessed are the air helmet wearers as they can raise the lid and eat snacks !

I will admit to being a tool squirrel !

jttheclockman

Just enjoyed working with wood and metal from an early age. Dad died when I was 8 but Uncle Peter was an inspiration to me from an early age. Built his own 3 1/2" steam engine unit"mit ran then took us all on riders around a local track. I now have the engine and intend to finish the plate work! Note the word INTEND .

Had a go at wood turning on his lathe and wanted one, so waited, saved and got one. Keeps me sane after a day as a frontline pharmacist , as we're now called ( ?? can't help but wonder what a back line pharmacist does though ?) . Plus you get to buy all sorts of nice goodies to play with ! One of the few hobbies where you can enjoy and drink coffee and eat bacon at the same time ( although keeping the bacon buttie away from the chip stream is probably wise ) . Blessed are the air helmet wearers as they can raise the lid and eat snacks !

I will admit to being a tool squirrel !
There is some deep deep deep underlyings in your post and the need for food and snacks as you are presenting those carbide tools to that spinning blank. You may need some help that is beyond the capabilities of this site. Not sure..😉🧐😱

howsitwork

No JT I stick with sharp HSS. Not moved to carb8de for wood turning.

Now on the engineering lathe that's another story. You trying to tell me you DONT a have any snacks to sustain the inner main in the workshop 🤔🤔🤔 I have moved to an insulated an sealed top mug ( cos it hold nearly a pint of coffee , that's almost 6 ginger biscuits worth !)

I can remember when SWMBO would bring coffee out to me but we've been married 26 years now ( parole shortly..🤣🤣) and doesn't happen so often now.

jttheclockman

No JT I stick with sharp HSS. Not moved to carb8de for wood turning.

Now on the engineering lathe that's another story. You trying to tell me you DONT a have any snacks to sustain the inner main in the workshop 🤔🤔🤔 I have moved to an insulated an sealed top mug ( cos it hold nearly a pint of coffee , that's almost 6 ginger biscuits worth !)

I can remember when SWMBO would bring coffee out to me but we've been married 26 years now ( parole shortly..🤣🤣) and doesn't happen so often now.
Now I would be lieing if I said I did not ever snack in the shop, but usually those were thinking days where I would just go and sit in the shop and let my mind wander and unwind. Many times ideas come to me when in that mode.

sbwertz

When I was a little girl, I used to spend every summer with my grandparents. My grandfather was a woodworker and taught me to use tools. He would bring home hardwood packing cases that he picked up somewhere, and bought me my very own nail puller (I still have it!) I took those cases apart, and the wood was mine to use to make anything I wanted. The bandsaw was the only power saw I was allowed to use, and had to stand on a box to reach it. When I wasn't working in the shop with my grandpa, my grandmother taught me to sew on an old treadle sewing machine. I spent every summer with them from the time I was five until I was seventeen.

Grandpa had a station wagon that he fitted out with custom cabinetry.....lots of drawers made of hardwood. It was absolutely beautiful.

howsitwork

wonderful memories Sharon.

My grandfather was a ship building carpenter veneering and fitting out cabins etc as I understand it. He has a wonderful small shed like workshop which I was allowed to look into but not touch the tools. Still recall how pleased he was with a very rough model ship I made at school aged 11.

SteveG

I made a career in custom furniture: one man shop/business. Later transitioned to smaller items, eventually pens. I always aimed for the high-end market, and that worked out well for me. I will say this: when customers are paying the hi-end price, they tend to be very picky. Since any issues would almost surely come back to me, I went proactive, and offered a long-term warranty all along the way. It never really felt like a job, with the exception of one furniture project that I WAY-under bid. That one made it like a job, but it was the only one.;)

Top Bottom