other things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

elody21

This is a group of items other than pens I have made. Alice

I guess I should have said what the materials were. The tall vase is Yew. Tough to work with when dry! and by the way,--- poisenness(sp?)
Item to the left is box elder and ebony. The next smaller vase is made from lilac, ebony and a cabachon of some sort of stone. The next one is cottonwood spalted and a bear to turn because it tears out very easy. The finial is ebony, lovely wood to work with, as we all know!
Alice

Attachments

• DSCF0272.jpg
    DSCF0272.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

They look great. I just got a Barracuda system and I can't wait to find time to start learning how to turn bowls and such. Good work.

elody21

Thanks guys. I used to use a combination of finishes but it took sooooooooooooooo long for it to dry I tried something new. Very easy!!!!! Minwax Wipe-onPoly gloss!!!! I apply each coat very thinnly with torn Bounty paper towel. My lathe will run very slow which helps. I leave the project on the lathe on slow and douse the torn edge of the paper towel until all surfaces are thinly covered. After each coat dries use very fine sand paper,dust and coat again. I usually put about 6 to 8 coats on the project before using 12000 micro mesh and then use a buffing compound to shine it up! I know, I love shiny! If your lathe does not go slowly you can still apply the finish just in thinner coats. The coats dry pretty fast but I would not put more than 4 coats in one day. This minwax is pretty user friendly and you can get it at Home Depot! Alice

leehljp

Member Liaison
Very inspiring work! I have a bowl (my first) for which I have not made a lid yet. It has been in my mind to make ebony accoutrements like you did. Beautiful work!

ngeb528

Beautiful, Alice.

Can you explain the 'torn edge' process a little more? I'm confused on how that works.

VisExp

Those look beautiful. I really like the cottonwood vessel. The grain on the lid mathches nicely with the base, and the finial looks great.

What hollowing system are you using?

Fred

Your work in turning and finishing these bowls is absolute beautiful to look at and it would have to be much prettier in person.

You have brought the hidden beauty of God's wood and you should be very proud of these pieces.

Keep up the excellent work and the market will beat a path to and through your doors. :biggrin:

elody21

finish on items

Beautiful, Alice.

Can you explain the 'torn edge' process a little more? I'm confused on how that works.

I cannot take credit for the idea. Steve Sinner is in my wood turning club and he told be how to do it. The torn edge of the paper towel I guess works like a very fine wide brush. It ONLY works if you have a lathe that will go slowly.
Sorry for the delay in a response. I just have not been signed on lately.
I could try to make a little demo of it. Where is the site that you can put things like that on? I cannot remember the name. Alice

elody21

Those look beautiful. I really like the cottonwood vessel. The grain on the lid mathches nicely with the base, and the finial looks great.

What hollowing system are you using?

For those I just used hand held hollowing tools.
One wood that makes great finials is epa(spelling?). It is used for making decks. So if you can get your hands on a scrap piece you will have enough forever. It is fine grained and stains well. Although with a finish, it is a rich brown color anyway or if you use a black dye you have "ebony" Alice

Top Bottom