Other Things We Turn: Drop Spindle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pens By Scott

Pens By Scott

Hi there,
Recently I was asked by a friend if I could turn a Drop Spindle. She showed me a few images of them, looks pretty straight forward....

Just wondering if anyone has made these and if there are any good site with instructions.. Best diameters, Lengths, Notching? Gluing (do you glue?)?

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be great!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackPearl

I don't have any pictures but on mine, I cut the shaft with a bevel from about 1/2" to 1/4" over about an inch and a half and match that in the whorl, kind of like a circular dove tail. I formed a scraper to make the job easier I make three or four a week so it was worth the effort for me.

My wife teaches spinning and starts everyone with a free hand made drop spindle, I usually can sell 4 or 5 on a weekend too. Depending on the wood and the amount of attachment I have for the piece they go from $12.00 to about $45.00.

I use mostly Oak and Popular for them because a trim shop down the road throws out a dumpster of Oak and Popular every month, and I am not above a little diving. I went down during the week one time and gave the manager a pen made from his scrap. He told me to keep out of his dumpster, so he doesn't get any free stuff any more. :)

I started out doing these, 1" gauges and Nostipines because I hate Jenny Lynde and needed to do a bunch of coves and beads to work on tool control. Great practice.

If anyone can give a better way than a Spindle roughing Gouge for making a consistent diameter 9" shaft I would love to know.

juteck

You'll need a scale too, and find out what their preference is on weight. The weight affects the weight of the yarn spun and how easy the raw wool will be to feed and how long it will spin. If you're making it as a gift, consider making them a prototype, let them spin with it, and see if they want heavier or lighter. For the notches on the whorl, my sister spins and prefers 4 notches instead of 3, but I think that's personal preference. Simple design that my dad made for her, but functional.

http://prairieprimrose.blogspot.com/search/label/Spindles

Top Bottom