OSU pen (finally!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

I've been working on this for way too long. I'm sure some will remember my looking for opinions on the stripe placement a while back. I kept it relatively simple. There was a lot of practice work done on scrap wood first because this is an expensive piece of wood. This is my first time using decals and I printed a lot of them in different shades. I'm still not happy with the decal edges and the color match of them to the stripes, but I'm tired of messing with it. For what it's worth, I used Photoscape 3.7 (the free one) to print the decals. You can set the exact size in mm, which was extremely useful.
  • The blank is from the "The Shoe" OSU Stadium, purchased from Stadium Blanks. it is well stabilized with CA as it just soaked it up readily when I glued up the "inlay". That's good, because it is pretty chippy old pine.

• The stripes are layers of sold color card stock .

• The logos are obviously decals, as is the finial. It was good on the top with a few layers of Krylon clear coat, but after cutting them, the ink bled at the sides when soaking. I did several trial runs, and ended up just soaking for maybe 30 seconds in room temp water to keep the bleeding to a minimum. I tried to touch up the edges a little with a fine point sharpie before finishing. There's still a little white showing, though. I had to use white back paper due to the white in the logo. It looks pretty good in hand, but you can see what I mean about the decals in the larger than life pictures.

• For the finial, I had a piece of scrap Rhinoblank already stuck on some scrap wood that I had used for a finial previously, so I smoothed the end out and turned it down to size. Then I cut the end of it about as thin as cardstock with a small parting tool, with just a little stem holding it in place. After setting the decal, it was domed it with UV resin (first time using that, also) which set exactly as is with no additional polishing. Finally, I cut it off by the stem with a utility knife. The nub fits right into the hole where I drove the original finial out.

• The finish is GluBoost. I lost track of how many layers of medium I used so I could level out the surface from the decals. I wet sanded through the grits of Zona paper, having scraped the cap finish even first.
Comments and critique welcome. If anyone has worked with white backed decals and has any tips, feel free to share. This is going to be a gift, so no copyright issues from selling it, and slightly imperfect just gives it more of a "handmade" look, right?

OSU_op_ln.jpg

OSU_cert.jpg

OSU_cl_jrn_L.jpg OSU_cl_jrn_R.jpg OSU_op_jrn_L.jpg OSU_op_jrn_R.jpg OSU_cap_color.jpg OSU_cap1.jpg OSU_cl.jpg OSU_op_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lew

Beautiful work. Your thought, planning and execution resulted in something that will give joy for a long time. My son and dil are both graduates of OSU and would absolutely love something like this. And thanks for the description of the process. Well done.

PreacherJon

I grew up in Columbus.... and I want a pen! Since you can't sell it because of trademark issues. I'd be happy to swap a bowl for one. Let me know.

sorcerertd

I grew up in Columbus.... and I want a pen! Since you can't sell it because of trademark issues. I'd be happy to swap a bowl for one. Let me know.
I have a lot of less complex ones ready to spin, but it will probably be a while before I get to doing another one at this point. I'll let you know. If you want to try something out in the meantime, this is the blank I used.

I bought a blank from the Mean Streak at Cedar Point, too. Man, that coaster was a beast.

Top Bottom