OSB Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daveppeters

daveppeters

I'm new here, but wanted to share a fun challenge I set for myself. I recently turned a pen from OSB, very painfully, I might add! It took hours. I used thin CA glue to stabilize it. It was a constant dance of using the spindle roughing gouge, then gluing back the piece that just flew off, then turning some more, along with sharpening every so often because the superglue would gum up the tool! But in the end, the pen turned out great and it was a fun challenge. I would like to get setup for using cactus juice or similar and make more of them. I kinda like the look. :)

Attachments

• 20220329_082411.jpg
    20220329_082411.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Looks nice! Thanks for sharing.

I just had a similar experience. I just turned my first HempWood blank this morning - it looked almost identical to OSB - lots of bits & pieces pressed together. I also took longer than usual to turn it. I did do a quick dyed cactus juice stabilization before turning. It's on the lathe now - I am adding coats of CA. When it's done I will post a pic.

Keep showing your pens!

Well done. If you don't get carried away by how attaractive the OSB is, you look closer and also see a well-crafted pen. The shape of the pen is really good. So often I see bulbous pens and they really don't look comfortable. This one looks as if it could be in your hand for hours. Well done!

daveppeters

Well done. If you don't get carried away by how attaractive the OSB is, you look closer and also see a well-crafted pen. The shape of the pen is really good. So often I see bulbous pens and they really don't look comfortable. This one looks as if it could be in your hand for hours. Well done!
Thanks! That's one thing I try to aim for because I have observed the same thing. :)

KMCloonan

When we built our home in 1988, we were young and naïve - I had not heard of OSB, but our builder used it extensively on our home. Our roof deck is OSB, and all of our floors are OSB. I would NEVER use OSB again to build anything (except maybe a pen 😁). It loses all structural integrity if it gets wet. We had a couple of slow leaks on our roof, which swelled the OSB and I almost put my foot through it one day when I was on the roof. We had to replace the entire roof decking and shingles. The floors creak and squeak even though they are glued and screwed. I hate the stuff. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Top Bottom