Osage Orange and Chakte Viga The Next Generation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings All:

Well, today I made another Osage Orange and Chakte Viga set of blanks inserting a divider made from a black plastic (tote lid material). I used CA to glue the segments together. The first blank blew apart when I was drilling. As soon as the drill hit the plastic it ripped the wood off and in the twisting agony it cracked the wood and blew out a piece - no recovery possible.

So, I took the second blank and added splints on two of the sides with Titebond, essentially gluing tongue depressors to two sides to support things when drilling. This blank drilled successfully!

Unfortunately, after finishing, the root cause of my drilling blowout reared its ugly head again. My choice of divider material just does not work with CA. As I was Micro Meshing I noticed that the CA just did not adhere to the plastic and it actually even chipped off in one area. Regardless, I still pressed it into a pen so I could see how it would look in general. (I will probably knock it apart and re-use the kit though).

All in all, I like the black accent. I think it looks really nice with the other black accents on the Cigar kit. I just need to find the right material that is more conducive to use with CA before I try again.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_1392 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1393 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1394 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I appreciate your comments and travails with the inlay material. For me, most of my simple inlays are old credit cards/hotel keys/similar materials. I have also dabbled with pickguard, styrene, and many other materials. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I have been playing with an oval design for about 1 year now, and a few other IAP turners are having success with their own efforts. I need to get back to this, but here are my failures and final success - ...don't give up!

IMG_1794.jpg
IMG_1790.jpg

magpens

@egnald

Adding the black makes a big improvement to the appearance !!

Too bad that the glue does not adhere better to the black layer. . Perhaps veneer layer like Mark .... triple thickness ?

CjG78

Greetings All:

Well, today I made another Osage Orange and Chakte Viga set of blanks inserting a divider made from a black plastic (tote lid material). I used CA to glue the segments together. The first blank blew apart when I was drilling. As soon as the drill hit the plastic it ripped the wood off and in the twisting agony it cracked the wood and blew out a piece - no recovery possible.

So, I took the second blank and added splints on two of the sides with Titebond, essentially gluing tongue depressors to two sides to support things when drilling. This blank drilled successfully!

Unfortunately, after finishing, the root cause of my drilling blowout reared its ugly head again. My choice of divider material just does not work with CA. As I was Micro Meshing I noticed that the CA just did not adhere to the plastic and it actually even chipped off in one area. Regardless, I still pressed it into a pen so I could see how it would look in general. (I will probably knock it apart and re-use the kit though).

All in all, I like the black accent. I think it looks really nice with the other black accents on the Cigar kit. I just need to find the right material that is more conducive to use with CA before I try again.

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 245490View attachment 245491View attachment 245492
Love it mate, looks beautiful!

Humongous

Nice work on the pen Dave. That tote lid was most likely HDPE, CA does not adhere well to it. Take a look at the recycling triangle on the bottom, if it says HDPE best to use another material.

Top Bottom