ordering alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwilki

I've done some casting so far, but I've not used Alumilite. From what I've read, it's the way to go. Can you please tell me what products I should start out with? I'm looking to cast thin layers over wood blanks to which I have stuck labels. I'm also looking to pressure cast some wormy wood blanks.

Tks for all advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Alumilite Water Clear is what you're looking for, Grant. It's the one that comes in metal cans. Be careful, you've only got 3 1/2 - 4 minutes to work after you've mixed it. Also, make sure you measure according to weight, not volume. [:)]

You'll also want to get some of the Alumilite dyes. I have black, red, yellow and blue - I think I can get most colors by mixing those, but I need to check if they have white, as well.

The metallic powders they have are nice, too. Look into Jacquard pearl powders. They're pretty cheap and really give a nice look to any medium. They're available at most art supply stores.

It's definitely a great resin, doesn't stink too bad, and turns like butter. It's pretty watery, so it gets into the wood very well. Easy to mix, too.

Good luck!

Karl

gwilki

Tks much, Karl. I'm going to be travelling on I-81 later this week, so if I can find someplace in NY or northern PA that stocks it, I can pick some up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom