Opinions on this lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I have no experience with this lathe...

A quick look at the listed specs, the one thing that I noticed is the speed ranges:
  • Electronic variable speed in two ranges: 300-1,100 RPM and 750-3,500 RPM
Depending on what kind of materials you use, you may find that you are needing to change the belt between those two ranges.

I personally drill some materials and do things like cutting tenons at a speed lower than 750.

My Jet 1221VS has these ranges:
  • Speed Ranges (RPM): 60-900, 110-1800, 220-3600
Which means that I can leave it on the 220-3600 range and never mess with it for any pen making task.

When I decide to get into other/larger turnings, I can move the belt to a lower range and get more control at low speed and the additional torque I will need.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Rockler, in general, offers quality items and has a very good reputation (IMHO) with their service. I don't order from them regularly because they are usually a bit more expensive than I can get in other places. AS to the lathe, It looks good and if I were in the market today for a pen lathe, I would certainly consider that one.

TonyL

i don't see anything about the warranty. jet and rikon have ( maybe no more) 5 year warranties. service was excellent

egnald

I don't know too much about this variable speed lathe, but years ago Rockler jumped on the 10 x 18 Mini Lathe bandwagon with "their" Excelsor MC1018 lathe. Basically a re-branded Grizzly H8259, Rikon 70-105, and Harbor Freight 65345. All with the same castings and layouts but different colors and badges. I started out with the Harbor Freight until I upgraded to the JET 1224VS.

I'm not sure about this newer Rockler Midi. So far I haven't run across other brands that have exactly the same spec's, but going from just the spec's it seems like a beefy enough Midi with a 1.2HP motor. It looks solidly built (judging just from the photos). To me it looks a lot like just an upsized version of their Mini lathe - based on how the motor mounting system and some of the other accessories look. I agree with Hank (leehljp ), Rockler branded tools are usually good quality and Rockler has built a good reputation so I don't think they would jeopardize it by selling substandard stuff.

Like David (d_bondi), my JET belt position has never been changed from the 220-3600 range as it covers all of my penmaking needs, even on the low end as I apply finish somewhere between 300 and 500 RPM.

Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom