Opinion on Penn State's Assembly/Disassembly Press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BGrubb

Good evening. I'm new to all this and putting together the tools to get started. It has been recommended by a couple of people that I buy the Milescraft pen press. It seems like a nice tool and I'm sure I'd love it. But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if anybody has an opinion on Penn State's Assembly/Disassembly press, found here: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html Also known as the "PENPRESSXL".

The cost is $70, or about $25 more than I see the Milescraft pen assembly press online. Is $25 worth it, or should I spend about $11 for the Harbor Freight transfer punch set I see people on IAP talking about?

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

builtbybill

Welcome to the addiction!

I personally use a Harbor Freight arbor press, for assembly, and the Harbor freight transfer punch set, for disassembly. It was easier for me to justify this tool selection because they are used for more than just pens. Before I bought the arbor press I used my drill press for assembly.

Good luck,

Bill

emurphy416

I have it and i'm satisfied with the purchase. I had to disassemble a couple of pens and it was very simple and convenient. I can't speak to any other product as I started using a clamp to assemble and had nothing to disassemble pens with.

gtriever

I have both the Penn State XL and the Harbor Freight arbor press /punch set. Each has its place and use in my shop. If you go the transfer punch direction, keep in mind that you'll need some kind of non-marring pliers or vise to hold the pen body.

PenPal

Good evening. I'm new to all this and putting together the tools to get started. It has been recommended by a couple of people that I buy the Milescraft pen press. It seems like a nice tool and I'm sure I'd love it. But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if anybody has an opinion on Penn State's Assembly/Disassembly press, found here: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html Also known as the "PENPRESSXL".

The cost is $70, or about $25 more than I see the Milescraft pen assembly press online. Is $25 worth it, or should I spend about $11 for the Harbor Freight transfer punch set I see people on IAP talking about?

Thank you!

I use this Arbor press mounted at eye height where I sit to turn enables me to finish a pen etc where I sit. I have two sets of punches metric and imperial for closer fits to hold my blanks at the Sander to square my blanks and dissembly. I never regretted these items.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

TonyL

Bought it on sale. It has paid for itself about 5 times already. All of the pens that I needed to fix were disassembled on it. The assemble function works well, bit I prefer the CSUSA inserts. I fell like I have more control. I also prefer it the milescraft.

pshrynk

I had the press that comes with the starter set for a while, but got the Assembly/Disassembly model because I waned the option of fixing pens without using a hammer. I haven't looked back. I think it works quite well. Nothing else to compare to, however.

moke

I have that penn state press....it's ok...Not something I would jump up and down about. I started a long time ago with a oak sided 7" vice on one of the benches and I went back to it. It just seems easier some how, maybe I am just used to it. For disassembly, I use the penn state rubber sided vice grip, a transfer punch set and occasionally I put it in that same vice.

I have two other vices....a twin screw and a quick release the width of a bench....they are too big and cumbersome. I could also see where a arbor press would be great, I just never bought one. I just noticed this weekend that the penn state press is loaded with dust! Maybe some day, I'll use it more.

keithlong

Google hand made pe press and you can plans to make your own. I made one from red oak scraps for 3.00. the only thing that I had to buy were the bolts and wing nuts for assembly.

bsshog40

I have used the PennPress since I started. I've even had to disassemble a couple pens. Works great for me.

larryc

I've used the Milescraft for years and it has worked great. Earlier this year I had a high end fountain pen that I couldn't disassemble with the transfer punches and the Penn State pliers so I bought the Penn State assembly/disassembly unit. It wouldn't disassemble the pen either and I ended up crushing the pen with the Penn State tool. I kept it because I needed another press for pens at a show and the clamp I was using couldn't exert enough pressure.

penicillin

I use the Sawdust Brothers lathe pen press adapters for assembly:
https://www.amazon.com/Lathe-Pen-Press-Adapters-MT/dp/B00C9731LM

Transfer punch sets look all the same to me. I bought the cheapest one I could find, at Harbor Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

They require more force than my hands can take, so I am designing some home-brew disassembly jigs for myself. The idea is to use woodworking clamps with the jigs so that the screw threads on the clamps slowly drive the pen apart.

randyrls

I don't have a pen press. I dislike single purpose tools. I use the woodworkers vise on my workbench with wood jaw faces. When I am away from the shop two delrin pieces fit in an MT#2 lathe as Sharon said.

EdM

I purchased the assembly/disassembly press a while ago, and do not like it for disassembly.
I find that the rubber tube provided, combined with the 4 point piece that grips the pen blank, are not adequate to provide a good strong grip on the blank.
When I've tightened down the red handles to a point where the blank will not slip, I've had several blanks crack, and others show damage to the finish.
The disassembly pliers they have, with a padded round grip rather than 4 points of contact, would seem to be a better solution for disassembly.

Ed

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I own both of these presses. However, my go to has always been the Penn State press. I found it easier to adjust quickly. It's also great when disassembling a pen.

Top Bottom