Oosik pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

I just ran across these photos. The pen is a Cigar, that I made 13 years ago. The blank is called "oosik", which is the fossilized penis bone from certain mammals. No joke. This particular one is from a walrus. I got it from Ebay (where else?). From what I understand, the walrus oosik is about 3ft long. The chunk I bought was only about 8" long. Has to be the strangest pen I've ever made.

I made this pen for my urologist at the time, when I was going through all the kidney surgeries. When I told him what it was, he got a really funny look on his face. He didn't look impressed. I thought it was a great pen for a urologist. I showed the leftover chunk to my dentist at the time, and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He took it around the office, showing it to all his staff, and telling them what it was.

Attachments

• cigaroosik.jpg
    cigaroosik.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 179
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The first oosik I saw was on a fishing trip to Alaska many years ago. The friend who had it had the entire piece and I was more than impressed. I've heard of people making them into canes too. Interesting pen for sure. Good job.

qquake

How does it turn? how difficult? For obvious reasons I chose "difficult" rather than , er, well ... difficult.
Like I said, it was 13 years ago, but I don't remember any problems turning it. I do remember there was a strong odor while I was drilling it, but not while I was turning it, which I thought was odd. And I can't for the life of me remember what finish I put on it. Probably whichever friction finish I was using at the time.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Like I said, it was 13 years ago, but I don't remember any problems turning it. I do remember there was a strong odor while I was drilling it, but not while I was turning it, which I thought was odd. And I can't for the life of me remember what finish I put on it. Probably whichever friction finish I was using at the time.

Didn't you post a picture of it back then? It seems like I remember all of the attention it drew at the time. I do remember one drawing a lot of attention.

qquake

Didn't you post a picture of it back then? It seems like I remember all of the attention it drew at the time. I do remember one drawing a lot of attention.
That could very well be. I joined the forum in 2004, so I probably did post photos of it. It has to be the most unique pen I've ever made.

Top Bottom