OOR between centres turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I know there are a lot of people here who turn between centres. I find that i get about 3 thousandths runout on the dead centre but virtually none on the live centre in the tailstock. The dial indicator doesn't seem to pick up much runout on the headstock spindle, dead centre and live centre align, i've given the headstock spindle a clean with a rag, is there anything else i can try?

Carl Fisher

I have a MT2 reamer that I use fairly regularly. I find that the inside of the taper collects junk when changing out centers often and any little bit of anything builds up quick will kick your point enough to be measurable. Also check to make sure your center is clean. I know if I get any build up of finishing products on the 60-degree or the MT2 taper, it can cause the same effect.

My problem is actually on the other end. One of my live centers that I use on the tail side has runout.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I have a MT2 reamer that I use fairly regularly. I find that the inside of the taper collects junk when changing out centers often and any little bit of anything builds up quick will kick your point enough to be measurable. Also check to make sure your center is clean. I know if I get any build up of finishing products on the 60-degree or the MT2 taper, it can cause the same effect. My problem is actually on the other end. One of my live centers that I use on the tail side has runout.

I just ordered the green taper mate.

Do you find you can use the reamer without taking out any metal?

ironman123

I clean my MT2 bore with a bottle brush and some DNA and wipe any MT2 insert (centers, drill chuck or other) with a rag sometimes with DNA if dirty.
Works for me.

Ray

Top Bottom