Oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eteska

eteska

Had a blowout at the end. Left it sit on the counter for at least a week. Decided to try and salvage it and segmented some black walnut on to the tube. Let it sit for probably another week before I finally decided to turn the cap. Decided to segment the cap as well to try and cover up the fact the body was "design change."

I am not sure if I like it or not yet. May just have to ink it up and give it a try.

Comments and critiques always welcome. Thanks for looking.

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 110
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That was a pretty blank. Too bad about the oops. It does work. Does it work well, not sure on that one. It would not be my first choice. Probably would have went black. Is it worth taking apart?? No. Always someone who will love it.

magpens

Is that a Vertex Supreme pen kit ?

I think you saved the day ..... looks pretty good to me.

Might have been a little better with a thin aluminum washer between the two different materials on each barrel.
Sometimes this adds a bit of "bling" which helps distract folks from focussing on the transition between materials used to fix the "oops".

eteska

That was a pretty blank. Too bad about the oops. It does work. Does it work well, not sure on that one. It would not be my first choice. Probably would have went black. Is it worth taking apart?? No. Always someone who will love it.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I was working with walnut on something else. It was the easiest at the moment. Black would have been a nice choice too.

eteska

Is that a Vertex Supreme pen kit ?

I think you saved the day ..... looks pretty good to me.

Might have been a little better with a thin aluminum washer between the two different materials on each barrel.
Sometimes this adds a bit of "bling" which helps distract folks from focussing on the transition between materials used to fix the "oops".

In my laser focus of the "oops" I forgot details. I will answer your specific questions here and edit my original post.

The blank is rhino plastic from exotic blanks. Color is copper lightning. The last few times I have made an order from exotic I have purchased whatever rhino blanks were on sale. They have all been very nice so far.

The kit is called hexagonal magnetic pen kit. I am not sure if this is similar to something being sold elsewhere but I got it from penkitsmall.com.

Oh and the thin aluminum washer. I like that idea. Next time I blow one out...

eteska

For whatever reason I could not get it to let me edit my original post.

Blank is rhinoplastic in copper lightning. Kit is magnetic hexagonal fountain pen from penkitsmall.com

Turned with square 2 inch radius carbide in a homemade tool. Sanded to 400. Applied thin-medium-thin mercury flex ca glue. Usually I do 2-6-2 for coats but I didn't count and can't remember for sure. Wet Sanded the ca from 600-3000 grit and polished with meguiars plastx. Pressed together in a vise.

I'm sure I may have missed a step somewhere along the way. If you have questions comments or suggestions. Let me know.

I

eteska

Looks like the segmenting was performed intentionally - nice job!

Well on the cap it was[emoji28].

I went for equal amounts of walnut on the body and cap. Now I am looking at it and the cap is much shorter in length and I am wondering if proportional sizing would be more visually appealing?

TonyL

Well on the cap it was[emoji28].

I went for equal amounts of walnut on the body and cap. Now I am looking at it and the cap is much shorter in length and I am wondering if proportional sizing would be more visually appealing?

I think the symmetry issue is a matter of personal taste.

eteska

If you really don't like it I will take it off your hands.;) I think its great.

Lol. I am starting to like it more and more. At a minimum like one of the comments above said it is probably not worth taking apart. I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Things to try when in inevitably have another blow out. (Hopefully it will be a while though.)

Top Bottom