Oops Pen or Guess the Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcm71

jcm71

I had an "oops" moment turning this Coyote (my last from Lazerlinez) with a pen blank I purchased from a member here, who unfortunately has not been active since 2015. I segmented it with oak and a sliver of amboyna burl. Any guesses what the wood is?
IMG_0111.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

No guesses so far. Here are two pics of a blank.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 80

jcm71

Next hint. The person I bought it from also sold oak burl blanks from trees that are indigenous to high altitudes.

egnald

Ok, is it Shoestring Acacia, Arizona Blue Mesquite, or maybe Pecky Cypress?
I think the grain is too wild for Brazilian Rosewood, and I also thought perhaps Sissoo, but it usually has sapwood showing.

If it's none of those then I'm really stumped! - Dave

jcm71

No to the above guesses. Do a search in the forum for the oak I described above. The seller misspelled the type of oak. Instead of "el" the seller put "le". Do a search here for the oak and you should be able to find the wood. 2011 was the year.

egnald

I'll take a Gamble on another hardwood that can be found in Arizona, Quercus gambelii Nutt (Gambel Oak).

Your clues made it too easy. I would have maybe had it on my last post, but I stopped looking back beyond 2012. Your last clue of 2011 was the clincher.

Dave

jcm71

I'll take a Gamble on another hardwood that can be found in Arizona, Quercus gambelii Nutt (Gambel Oak).

Your clues made it too easy. I would have maybe had it on my last post, but I stopped looking back beyond 2012. Your last clue of 2011 was the clincher.

Dave
Gambel Oak is not the wood. It just gets you to tehe vicinity.

Top Bottom