Only a segmenter........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Would get geeked out about these.
IMG_1501.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Love it. Looks very accurate. What are you cutting them on?? I will assume you made a block and cut slices. If so the blade you are using is a clean cutter because that different material will cause burning if not tuned and a sharp blade used. Can not wait to see what develops.

KenB259

Love it. Looks very accurate. What are you cutting them on?? I will assume you made a block and cut slices. If so the blade you are using is a clean cutter because that different material will cause burning if not tuned and a sharp blade used. Can not wait to see what develops.

Cut them on my table saw, built my own thin slice jig. The blade is new, not a real expensive one, just a 40 tooth combination blade by Freud/Diablo. You are correct, built a block and then just sliced them off. They are .100 thick and the blade on the saw is .102.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cut them on my table saw, built my own thin slice jig. The blade is new, not a real expensive one, just a 40 tooth combination blade by Freud/Diablo. You are correct, built a block and then just sliced them off. They are .100 thick and the blade on the saw is .102.

LOL, Just for fun, I cut slices down to .040" on my Byrnes Table Saw today. These were also 12 slotted segmented, so many glue lines. Way too thin to actually use for segments (won't be visible).

KenB259

LOL, Just for fun, I cut slices down to .040" on my Byrnes Table Saw today. These were also 12 slotted segmented, so many glue lines. Way too thin to actually use for segments (won't be visible).

I don't know Mark, I think they would show fine. I use fiber paper sometimes that is only .032 and it shows fine,also veneer is about
.025 that shows nicely too.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

KenB259

Yea we been down this road before. I think you need to change your avatar.:) You had me fooled. Also you are more a woodworker than most here so you know your way around the shop and can adapt things easily. But always great to see another segmenter in the crowd.

Lol, my avatar really is a pretty recent picture.

KenB259

What design is your brain thinking of using them in? Sandwich between thicker segments??

I have a couple. I have one design that has angled stripes. And I'm also wondering how a Celtic knot would look like using them as infill, but not sure at this point on how to align them or even if aligning at all is necessary. Could also glue two of them together in a checkerboard design.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have a couple. I have one design that has angled stripes. And I'm also wondering how a Celtic knot would look like using them as infill, but not sure at this point on how to align them or even if aligning at all is necessary. Could also glue two of them together in a checkerboard design.

Have fun! These are the best opportunities for designs, when you have good starting materials.

jttheclockman

I am sure whatever you come up with will look good. Cut a couple up corner to corner long wise. Whatever the angle is so be it and see how it matches up. If you keep pieces together they should be perfect match.

Top Bottom