One thing after another

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Last week our washer decided to take a doodie. So after a ton of research, we finally got one and got it up and running. That's a chore with these new all electronic machines.

Then, two days ago, my truck wouldn't start. It would crank fine, but just wouldn't fire up. I found it was getting fuel through both injectors. It seemed to be getting spark, although a little weak. I narrowed it down to the ignition module, and during the removal process, the base plate broke off of the distributor. So, I got a complete new distributor and installed it today. Tried to start it, and nothing. Advanced the timing, and nothing. Advanced the timing more, and got a stumble. Advanced the timing again, and it started. So now, I have to pull the distributor and get it to TDC, then set the timing. Going to get a timing light now.

I can't imagine what could be next.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Timing - Was there many years ago when it was a lot more simple! I don't envy you but glad to hear of someone staying with the job until it is over. Best of luck to you - too!

Terredax

Banned
Was planning to pull the distributor and get timing set today.
No go... it's raining, and I don't have access to any place out of the rain. Can't drive it to get it any place anyway.:frown:

I think I'll tough it out, and just get wet. I hate not having my truck.

Terredax

Banned
The truck is finished and it runs great. Maybe better than before?

So I figured since I was already soaking wet, I would cook a piece of meat on the grill.:eat::biggrin:

Herb G

Sounds like any other day around here.
I feel for you, because I have run into that kind of stuff every week for the last 15 years.

tbroye

What a distributor? Last time I saw one of those was on my 86 S-15 Jimmy. Just sold my Timing Light, Dwell Meter, Vacuum gauge, and a whole bunch of real mechanics stuff to a guy who had a couple of 60's cars

Woodchipper

Compared to me, Murphy was an optimist! Glad it is running. Or you could have put it up on blocks and bought another truck.

TonyL

I heard a "wise" saying: "A pessimist is an optimist that knows all of the facts."

Terredax

Banned
Compared to me, Murphy was an optimist! Glad it is running. Or you could have put it up on blocks and bought another truck.

If only I could afford another truck. With the re-sell prices, it's almost less expensive to buy brand new.
I'll keep this one running as long as I can.

tomas

Last week our washer decided to take a doodie. So after a ton of research, we finally got one and got it up and running. That's a chore with these new all electronic machines.

Then, two days ago, my truck wouldn't start. It would crank fine, but just wouldn't fire up. I found it was getting fuel through both injectors. It seemed to be getting spark, although a little weak. I narrowed it down to the ignition module, and during the removal process, the base plate broke off of the distributor. So, I got a complete new distributor and installed it today. Tried to start it, and nothing. Advanced the timing, and nothing. Advanced the timing more, and got a stumble. Advanced the timing again, and it started. So now, I have to pull the distributor and get it to TDC, then set the timing. Going to get a timing light now.

I can't imagine what could be next.

John, it sounds to me like you may have put the distributor in 180 degrees out of time. Not only do you need to check for TDC, but you need to be sure it is a TDC on a compression stroke not an exhaust stroke. This happened to a buddy of mine and me years ago. The distributor drive gear on his Dodge slant 6 broke and we replaced it. Set it to TDC with the rotor pointing at the first cylinder. When I cranked the engi ceiling over, it back-fired once and then the valve cover blew off the engine with a big bang. The dip stick wound up bouncing off the ceiling across the garage bang.

Tomas

Terredax

Banned
John, it sounds to me like you may have put the distributor in 180 degrees out of time. Not only do you need to check for TDC, but you need to be sure it is a TDC on a compression stroke not an exhaust stroke. This happened to a buddy of mine and me years ago. The distributor drive gear on his Dodge slant 6 broke and we replaced it. Set it to TDC with the rotor pointing at the first cylinder. When I cranked the engi ceiling over, it back-fired once and then the valve cover blew off the engine with a big bang. The dip stick wound up bouncing off the ceiling across the garage bang.

Tomas

Actually, it was only about 60 degrees out. I expected it to be a little off, but not by that much. Of course I didn't go through the TDC procedure, I just dropped the distributor in at the same point the original came out.
But, this is a non-HEI, so it's electronic advance. The procedure for setting timing is a bit different than on HEI.
Once I got it to TDC, it fired right up, and to my amazement, the timing was perfect. Once the electronic advance was reconnected, it runs like brand new.
Fortunately, I've never experienced a distributor 180 degrees out, when putting a distributor in from scratch.
Timing was one of the first things I learned to do, right after learning the correct orientation of lug nuts. There IS a right and wrong way they go on.

Top Bottom