One step forward two steps back

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

I am struggling with this segmenting lark. Precision is a difficult art to master.
I now have slanting squares and misaligned triangles. IMG_1920.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penchant 4

I am struggling with this segmenting lark. Precision is a difficult art to master.
I now have slanting squares and misaligned triangles.View attachment 334111
The only way anyone else knows that these designs are not what you set out to create...is because they have been told. Keep at it because frankly, these look pretty good.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The vast majority of precision makers that I am familiar with - use hand tools, and spend 12+ hours a day making them. It kinda goes against the grain (no pun intended) of "power tools" with jigs frame of mind.

Keep at it. You are getting there. You have far more patience than I do.

MedWoodWorx

I now have slanting squares and misaligned triangles.View attachment 334111
to be honest you chose the trickiest patterns :) i don't know what u had in mind but they look fine, the blank in the middle with the squares looks a bit misaligned, all the other pieces are ok. a high end press drill is a must when working with segmented blanks; at least that's how i screw up my projects. Keep it up, cheers

MedWoodWorx

The vast majority of precision makers that I am familiar with - use hand tools, and spend 12+ hours a day making them. It kinda goes against the grain (no pun intended) of "power tools" with jigs frame of mind.
what do you mean hand tools? they use hand drills?

leehljp

Member Liaison
what do you mean hand tools? they use hand drills?
Primarily Hand planes for shaping the individual pieces - along with their small thin kerf saws and marking gauge type of razor cuts. Still, the final shape is usually done on their jigs - surfaced with a hand plane.

It is amazing how fine they can adjust their hand planes by just tapping lightly on the ends or sides with a small hammer. I personally watched one guy adjust a hand plane to cut thinner than .001 inch. It was so thin that I could read a newspaper through it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If advanced segmenting was easy, many more would be doing it. I agree with Ken, when you finish one you are personally proud of, it is a special level of satisfaction. I admire your designs - keep inspiring us. đź‘Ź đź‘Ź

MedWoodWorx

Primarily Hand planes for shaping the individual pieces - along with their small thin kerf saws and marking gauge type of razor cuts. Still, the final shape is usually done on their jigs - surfaced with a hand plane.

It is amazing how fine they can adjust their hand planes by just tapping lightly on the ends or sides with a small hammer. I personally watched one guy adjust a hand plane to cut thinner than .001 inch. It was so thin that I could read a newspaper through it.
Oh i see. A skilled craftsman working with such handtools can do wonders. I really envy these guys.

jttheclockman

Alan I agree with the others, if segmenting was easy more pen turners would be doing them as opposed to casting their own blanks. You are doing this basically with hand tools or by hand. There are no lasers cutting the designs and that is what makes your work stand out. Comes down to jigs for cutting and aligning. Working with such small pieces is a huge challenge but you have shown here you have the patience to accomplish this. So keep at it and continue on. I like the blank laying down.

MedWoodWorx

Hank is referring to the Japanese art of Yosegi Zaiku. There are many videos on Youtube that show the process and are well worth watching.

Alan
Ok,i didn't know it is called that, i ve seen many such videos. The japanese really take things to another level; even their whiskey is good.

Top Bottom