One Piper Piping; piped acrylic terrains

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Yes - I know there were 11 Pipers Piping on the 11th day.
But I was alone (and unafraid), and there were no other pipers in sight.
Decades after I'd piped innumerable cake frostings when the children were young, I had a little light bulb moment: Why not make some heat-sealed acrylic paint-filled tapering polyethylene bags (also recycling pen kit parts bags), cut the ends open, attach small piping tips with some press-and-seal wrap, do some alcohol ink underpaintings on brass pen tubes, pipe on some leaf-like "terrains", airbrush-seal them with Createx acrylic gloss top coat, let them dry for a week, tube-in cast them at 50psi with Douglas and Sturgess PR, turn them "fat" to avoid cutting into the "terrains", finish as usual and assemble? I realized that I'd be the same age whether or not I did it - so I did it.
Here are some techniques, a Virage fountain pen, a fat Slimline stylus pen, and some close-up views:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Memorial Day!
- Bob

Attachments

• PipingTechnique,1,,marksion,2017,800px.jpg
    PipingTechnique,1,,marksion,2017,800px.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 600
  • HiProfilePipedVirageAndSlimline,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    HiProfilePipedVirageAndSlimline,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 626
  • PipedSlimline,Virage,CU,1,marksion,2017,800px.jpg
    PipedSlimline,Virage,CU,1,marksion,2017,800px.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

"Out of This World" Bob.
Do you Lay Awake of a Night Developing these Fantastic Processes in your Mind? or Do you Dream Them Up, then Awake, and Write them Down?

As far as the "Piper Pipping", You had me starting to Look for that "Partridge in the Pear Tree".

Joking Aside, I love your Inventiveness and Ingenuity, in particularly when Coupled with your Knowledge and Experience of a Vast and Comprehensive Range of Materials and their Individual Application Idiosyncrasies.

The Blank of the Slimline is Spectacularly Vivid, Very Crisp and Concise, Brilliant.

You Seem to Enjoy More, and More "Eureka Moments", than Anyone Else I Know.

Congratulations, and Please Keep Up the Enjoyment, My Friend
Brian.

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Heartfelt thanks to Carl, Mal, Phil, Jim, JP, Keith, Brian, Michael, Tony, and others for kind comments and for looking!

Brian you asked: "Do you Lay Awake of a Night Developing these Fantastic Processes in your Mind? or Do you Dream Them Up, then Awake, and Write them Down?"

I'm lucky to know Stephen LaBerge, whom I consider to be the father of lucid dreaming, i.e. driving your dreams without awakening. I manage about 2-3 lucid dreams per week - each one geared to process visualization in various contexts, including pen making, other arts/crafts, music composition, etc. Here's Stephen's bio info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_LaBerge

I like his books and also like Robert Waggoner's work.

I now have a little arsenal of paint tubes ready for piping - great fun.

Not sure if I'll get to the partridge in a pen-pear tree soon - but interested.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Bob in SF

Many thanks, Jay and Paul!

Piping heavy body acrylic paint out of a small tip results in some surprisingly fresh color blends - great fun.

The tips clean up easily with a spray bottle and small brushes (same brushes used for cleaning an airbrush).

- Bob

OZturner

Brian you asked: "Do you Lay Awake of a Night Developing these Fantastic Processes in your Mind? or Do you Dream Them Up, then Awake, and Write them Down?"

I'm lucky to know Stephen LaBerge, whom I consider to be the father of lucid dreaming, i.e. driving your dreams without awakening. I manage about 2-3 lucid dreams per week - each one geared to process visualization in various contexts, including pen making, other arts/crafts, music composition, etc. Here's Stephen's bio info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_LaBerge

I like his books and also like Robert Waggoner's work.

I now have a little arsenal of paint tubes ready for piping - great fun.

Not sure if I'll get to the partridge in a pen-pear tree soon - but interested.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Thank You Bob,
I am not familiar with the work of Stephen LaBerge, nor Robert Waggoner's.
The Reason I asked, is that many years ago, I found myself in what you are describing as Lucid Dreaming.
I was newly married, and had bought a One Bedroom Home, and wanted to renovate and convert it into a 3 Bedroom Home.
My Wife's Uncle worked for the Dept of Main Roads, and he told me of a House that was being put up for Tender for Removal or Demolition, on a Section of land that the Dept had acquired to remove the Homes, and Create a Turn Only Road just Prior to a Major Intersection.
Long Story Short, I put in a Bid and won the Tender.
Having Inspected the Building and the Method of it's Construction, I intended to Demolish this House, on the forthcoming Easter Vacation Period.
I intended to Pre cut the Walls and Floors to the Dimensions that I wanted added to our Home.
The remaining Material I was having Transported also for use on the Project.

I found in the many nights leading up to the Easter Holiday Break, that I would awake in the morning being conscious of my Dreaming, and the Problems I considered may happen, and the Solutions that I had come up with.
I did not only have the same scenario, once but almost a Nightly occurrence.
During the Day I would also find myself Visualizing possible scenario's in my mind, so much so, that when Easter Came for the Demolishing and Preparation for Transport, there were problems, but they were all covered by my "Dreams" or my "Visualizations".

Latter in my Life in the Voluntary Administration of Top Level Swimming I came across a Sports Scientist who started using the Visualization Techniques, with our Top Swimmers, teaching them how to Visualize each race while being relaxed.
They were wired with Monitoring Equipment, and closing their eye's, then to visualize step by step, every single possible Planned and Unplanned thing that could happen. for example: Too Slow Off the Block, missing or slipping on a Turn, Inhaling Water, the lane Rope Breaking, etc.
The Monitoring Equipment registered their Body and Emotional Reaction which were as if they were actually Swimming, and how the Swimmers Emotions and Reactions and Bodies responded to these Occurrences and Stimuli.
It meant that the Swimmers had Experienced and Felt all that could possibly happen to them in a Competition, so there were no surprises, if and when any one of them occurred in competition, the Swimmer immediately Knew what to Expect and to Do in those circumstances.

I have found these Tools to be Invaluable, and I continue to use them now, but considerably less than in previous Years.
I have even Developed Solutions and Action Plans for Problems that have never Happened, nor are Likely to Happen. But if they Do God Willing, I'll be Ready. :eek:
Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks, Ray!

Brian - Thanks so much for the inspiring remembrance of your own lucid dreaming experiences!

Since pens and other writing/drawing/painting/sculpting implements are truly the instruments of self-expression, imagining, and imaging of possible worlds (hopefully guided by a little divine inspiration here and there), dreams are surely at the heart of it.

Remember the lyric: "Row, row, row your boat...life is but a dream".

Warm regards to all who dream in the day and night, and then make things charged with meaning.

Happy Saturday - Bob

PS: The pen piping concept came out of a series of ceramic flower vases and fountains that I made a few years ago - clay formulas amenable to blending down to butter cream frosting consistency were adapted from articles published in Ceramics Monthly in the 1950's and 60's (when ceramists made their own clay bodies); and the working method sprang from dreams:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Handthrown,PipedFlowerVase,markison,withinset,800px.jpg
    Handthrown,PipedFlowerVase,markison,withinset,800px.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 174
Top Bottom