One of my favourites, the Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevemorris

stevemorris

Curly maple with a 6 loop celtic knot
Matching pen and letter opener with curly maple case
The celtic knot starts with a hexagonal blank, kerfs are cut with my bandsaw with a sled
Walnut is 0.032 thick cut in my shop
IMG_0484[2].JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevemorris

Here is the shop made sled for cutting the saw kerfs on my old bandsaw (1915 Crescent 20)
the kerfs are cut almost all the way through. the sled has a guide bar that fits the track seen on the left of the table
IMG_0469[1].JPG

A couple of partially completed blanks clamped up

IMG_0468[1].JPG

an accurate hexagon is critical, my tilttop tablesaw set at 30 degrees

IMG_0471[2].JPG

and an almost completed blank ready for its last insert

IMG_0470[1].JPG

magpens

Thank you Steve .... it is very interesting and useful to see the details of your setup.

Your Celtic knots are perfect !!!! . Very beautiful indeed !!!!

For someone doing their first Celtic knot, would you recommend that they do a "four-loop" with a square cross-section blank ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Awesome! Your final pen/opener is a great set. I love seeing your set-up. Many ways to do this, and yours worked great.

Thanks for sharing.

stevemorris

precision is the key to a successful knot but it doesnt require fancy new equipment.
that bandsaw is over 100 yrs old, the tablesaw is from 1935 and my lathe is 1946
i have a video tour of my shop, i'll post it if i can. its all antique woodworking equipment
my lathe is shown in my profile picture, 1946 Henry craftmaster from London Ont, 1 hp hoover motor(ca 1950's) with reverse and a 16 speed belt drive system

stevemorris

Thank you Steve .... it is very interesting and useful to see the details of your setup.

Your Celtic knots are perfect !!!! . Very beautiful indeed !!!!

For someone doing their first Celtic knot, would you recommend that they do a "four-loop" with a square cross-section blank ?
yes a 4 loop is simpler, you can start with any 3/4 inch pen blank, just make sure its square

Top Bottom