One of my blind turners with his pepper mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

0223161143a.jpg

Bill is both blind and a double amputee. He levers himself up out of his power wheelchair onto a high stool to turn at the lathe. He is almost completely blind...can see light and dark. He uses a cane out in front of his wheelchair to navigate around. (He is truly amazing!) This was his second turning project...a peppermill made from mulberry with brass filings inlayed into a center band and some large cracks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is fantastic. Being able to put a face to your stories is also inspirational. I can see and I can not do as well. Tell him job well done. Continued success and keep having fun. That is real cool. Thanks for showing.

sbwertz

By mixing the brass filings (or other inlay material) into ten minute epoxy, and putting a nitrile glove on the blind turner, they can press the loaded epoxy into the grooves and cracks themselves. I try to let them do as much alone as they are able. Using an easy tool detailer, they can cut their own v grooves, too. I have to help them some with the fine placement of the tool, but they do most of it themselves. They do most of the shaping with a small spindle gouge and a small roughing gouge. (I turn the blanks round before they start.)

Hawkdave

G'Day Sharon....Full marks to you and your program to allow people such as Bill to turn out beautiful work such as the pepper mill.
Please pass on to Bill that he has done a fine job and I look forward to seeing his next project.

Dave.

TonyL

Sharon..if appropriate and for sale, I will buy from him for $50 plus shipping..I don't know what it is worth, so please tell me if they sells for more. I will pay shipping too. I actually need one. The one I own stinks. I love his. Thanks!

sbwertz

He made it for the Center to sell as a fundraiser, so yes it is for sale. And $50 is what we have been getting for them (except for the one in the silent auction). If it hasn't already sold, you can buy it. I'll email Frank and make sure it is set aside for you. I just don't want to run afoul of the forum's rules on selling items. I really didn't put it up here to sell it, just to show off my turner's prowess.

Sharon

Last edited:

rockb

Tell Bill he's an inspiration to a whole lot of us here on IAP......
Thanks for sharing that story.

TonyL

He made it for the Center to sell as a fundraiser, so yes it is for sale. And $50 is what we have been getting for them (except for the one in the silent auction). If it hasn't already sold, you can buy it. I'll email Frank and make sure it is set aside for you. I just don't want to run afoul of the forum's rules on selling items. I really didn't put it up here to sell it, just to show off my turner's prowess.

Sharon

Excellent...just let me know. I am assuming it is food safe - I will take it either way. Thanks!

sbwertz

Yes, it is food safe. The only part of it that contacts the pepper in the inside of the 1" hole down the center that the pepper falls through and it is sealed with walnut oil. The wood is mulberry. Frank emailed me and said he is keeping it for you. I'll pick it up tomorrow and PM you for shipping info.

Sharon

Woodnick43

Thank you

Sharon, we have never met. You are an inspiring person and deserve a big thank you for your help and encouraging those turners who are sightless. You must get a good feeling in helping these folks to achieve help in their work.
Congrats to you Sharon

OLLIEwinz

its truly amazing how with all that he has gone through he doesn't let that stop him, he just does it. he did a better job on that than anything I've ever turned.
-oliver

robertkulp

So good to see what others can do, in spite of adversity. This is what it's all about... giving back to others. Thank you for your work with the blind and for sharing their work with us.

TonyL

Received it today!

Received today. Even better looking in person. It will inspire me and others every time I use it. I can't wait for folks to ask me about it. Thank you for posting.

Attachments

• Pepper Mill.jpg
    Pepper Mill.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 118

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
0223161143a.jpg

Bill is both blind and a double amputee. He levers himself up out of his power wheelchair onto a high stool to turn at the lathe. He is almost completely blind...can see light and dark. He uses a cane out in front of his wheelchair to navigate around. (He is truly amazing!) This was his second turning project...a peppermill made from mulberry with brass filings inlayed into a center band and some large cracks.
Absolutely beautiful job. I REALLY like the "barrel" look.

Top Bottom