One of Mark’s Segmented Blanks That Tried to Get Away

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I bought three of these and this one had gaps between the segments. Not a dog or complaint, just a fact. To fill them I used 8 more coats of 40 cps CA. The result was a stuck Delrin finishing bushing that cracked off a chip of finish. After sanding and reapplying CA - here it is. Luckily the gap turned black and only Mark and I know. Now I have the set of three ready for Black Friday at the Bear Valley Holiday Bazaar. I've priced them almost twice my typical Sierra due to the much better and more expensive segmented blanks plus the elegant Sierra kit. We will see...

Mark James - take no offense as none was intended. I felt like a failure to only finish 2 of 3. I love these three segmented pens.

Attachments

• 5726DC00-5CC3-435A-937A-03067F5AA248.jpeg
    5726DC00-5CC3-435A-937A-03067F5AA248.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 285
  • D76838B7-42E2-47CC-809F-DC7D4E9F8A71.jpeg
    D76838B7-42E2-47CC-809F-DC7D4E9F8A71.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 6D77CA76-FB48-47B1-BD55-90C12ECF53D4.jpeg
    6D77CA76-FB48-47B1-BD55-90C12ECF53D4.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

I think it looks great. I'm just quessing were I think the area is you are talking about, you did a great job of filling it in !

Good luck at the Bazaar !!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks good Mark - And no offense taken in any respect! I have always hesitated to "sell/disperse/gift" my blanks because most need some sort of ... tweaking. You did a great job with the three you got.

Most of what I do are one-offs. I have little interest in selling blanks, or doing custom runs of multiple blanks of similar designs. Others do this for the Chevron designs, and more power to them. I have done these, but they are not really my interest. I prefer to figure out a design. attempt to make it, then move one to the next.

I also like to post my process, so others can learn and adapt and modify what I have done and get to new designs. This is a great evolution to witness.

I hope the three you have sell well.

Oh, I can't see any flaws! 👍 ;).

Best regards, Mark

leehljp

Member Liaison
" The result was a stuck Delrin finishing bushing that cracked off a chip of finish."

While many will wonder why delrin and CA can get stuck, it is not "stuck" but the strength of the CA in hardening on a form - that is what happens.

Many have seen this photo before:
https://www.witn.com/home/headlines...-Jeep-frozen-in-time-at-Vidant-292406901.html

Thick enough layers of CA hardens around the edges and into scratches of the delrin and won't pull out without breaking itself at the weakest point. When I have a fairly thick CA build-up, I will score the CA at the joint on the delrin. Again, it is not sticking to the delrin as an adhesive but as a formation into minute' cracks and scratches of the delrin and does not "give" or loose its integrity such as at the weakest point - such as the photo above.

EXCELLENT Pen! I wouldn't sell it, I would keep it as my own to use!

Top Bottom