One of Joe Schneider's Nicest Blanks (wood128)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

This pen is not completely finished, but since Joe recently started a thread about his work I decided to post these pics.

I apologize for the dust specs and the relatively poor quality of my photography (which inhibits me from posting more).

I have made a number of pens from Joe's artistic segmented blanks and this is one of his nicest blanks, in my opinion. . I want to commend Joe for the creativity of his work.

The pen kit is a Cigar, of course, and I like to make Cigars with a single barrel to show of the blank to best advantage without the distraction of a center band. . If you want to know the details of making a single barrel Cigar I would refer you to a good article in our Library. . I do not follow those suggestions to the letter but have altered the method to suit myself and give the resulting pen more strength in the middle section of the blank.
I can explain my altered method to anyone that is interested.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Mal,
Magnificent Multi Segmented Blank by Joe.
Expertly Turned, Fitted and Finished, Love the Single Barrel Cigar.
Great Work, by two Superb Craftsmen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

magpens

Yes, Jay. It is a nib-twist. . I will describe my method when I have more time.

It is basically as described in the library article, but instead of using a Sierra twist brass tube in the bottom I custom cut a 27/64" diameter brass tube considerably longer so that the two brass tubes overlap in the middle of the pen, thus mechanically strengthening it. The Sierra twist brass tube is just barely long enough to meet the 10 mm Cigar upper brass tube, so you will understand that the center is weak using that method.

Top Bottom