One more Niles stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

I normally don't post anything here until I've run it by some of the more "established" turners on this site. One of those turners told me he liked it so I'll post it here, thanks Chuck. A couple of weeks ago a very good friend sent me a box of Olive wood blanks off his property. This Olive wood is 150 years old and I have to admit, the first stopper I turned blew up in my face, thankfully I was wearing my shield. But number 2 came out pretty nice. I don't think I've ever turned wood that created ribbons as much as this did, it's wonderful to turn but it does require some work up front, like filling in the fissures with CA. The bottle stopper is a Niles Bourbon stopper. Thanks for looking.

Olive wood bourbon stopper.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for posting this Tom. Looks even better with the finish on it. Love Olivewood! I'd forgotten about the ribbons, until you mentioned it. Nice shape to this one, and accent grooves add to it's appeal. This should preserve the Bourbon flavor too! ;)

TOM:
I just cut some olive wood from a tree in ESCLON, said to be 100 plus. Got it all sealed up waiting for drying process. Hope it has the grain like your.

The bottle stopper is very nice.

Hi Charlie. This piece of Olive came from Oakdale, not too far off. The box he sent me had all kinds of different grain patterns. I didn't know what this was going to look like until I turned it. I hope your Olive wood has the same surprise in it.

Top Bottom