One day...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jehster1

Got these Mammith teeth from House of Mammoth. They'll sit on the shelf for a bit as I research how to turn them but they sure look purdy. 😍
20200114_222231.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Impressive blanks, they should be even more impressive looking once you get them turned. If you don't mind me asking, what would the price be, on such rare material?

Len

PenPal

As starters I found drilling using a Tungsten Tip drill nearest to the required size,then a steel drill to the correct sizing. The bands of clear you see in the blank is Silica that slows the drilling each time. I found an old three wheeler bandsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut the blanks to length.

Yes I purchased from the same source,great guy and wonderful service.

Have fun Peter.

howsitwork

Peter

thanks for the drilling tip and the warning re silica. I'd never considered using a masonry bit on material like this but actually it's a sound idea. Maybe I would regrind the tip a bit sharper before use or stone it sharper with a diamond file. I assume the steel bit needed a small res hardening session after effectively reaming the hole to size?

regards Ian

Jehster1

Thanks for the tip Peter! I bookmarked a post you did a while ago about working with it and plan to attack it using your methods. This forum is so great with helpful people and helping one to figure stuff out.

Jehster1

Impressive blanks, they should be even more impressive looking once you get them turned. If you don't mind me asking, what would the price be, on such rare material?

Len
Hey Len, I paid $79/blank plus shipping. I thought it a fair price.

Top Bottom