One by request and another

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

I had a client ask for a pen in University of Oklahoma colors. I had some stuff that feels like a cross between PR and Trustone so I used it. Just a simple modified slim.

The Sierra was a home stabilization experiment using polyurethane about 7 years ago. I found it while rumaging so I thought I'd give it a try. NO penetration hardly at all. But it turned well enough using CA. It is Cypress Knee. I really like it. It reminds me of Buckeye burl and turns beautifully when stabilized.

As always, C&C welcome.

Attachments

• 640SL_crimson_ ResinPS.jpg
    640SL_crimson_ ResinPS.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 640sierraPS_cypress_knee.jpg
    640sierraPS_cypress_knee.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

ah HA! Kinds-sorta Billy Bump on the cypress...

Yep, but the middle is too square, Chris. It looked okay on the lathe, but I'm not as happy with it as I am my true bumps once I got it together. And I'm too lazy to take it apart and redo it. :eek:

Bowl Slinger said:
Wow Billy, love what you have done with both of them but the Slim is awesome!

Thank you, sir! I turn as many slims this way as I can. I just don't like skinny pens... but LOML and many others do so I keep making them. :wink:

SDB777

When you say NO penetration....did you just soak it, or did you pull a vaccuum with the blank?

Very nicely turned!!!!

Scott (gotta do some stabilizing here too) B

I really like that twist on the slimline. It really makes the pen more elegant and just different than most slimline pens! Very nice indeed. The Sierra is also very nice and I like the lines in it as well.

alamocdc

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys!

When you say NO penetration....did you just soak it, or did you pull a vaccuum with the blank?

Very nicely turned!!!!

Scott (gotta do some stabilizing here too) B

Scott, I pulled a vacuum several times. I would release it after it quit bubbling each time. Did that about 4 times and then just let them sit in it for two days. I've done the same with dissolved plexiglass and had decent success. Not great, but decent. At least the plexi let me get turnable products. I did several with the poly and turned a spalted Pecan at the same time I turned this Cypress Knee. The Pecan just crumbled away. Even CA didn't help it. It wouldn't soak in far enough to do any good. The surface fibers drank it in like there was no tomorrow. I was disappointed too because it had some amazing grain structure. But I've no doubt that Curtis' Cactus Juice will do the job based on the pieces of it I have laid hands on. I'll be turning one in a few days. I just haven't figured out what kit I want to use. It is gorgeous piece of cross cut spalted Maple.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I really think the slim is very cool. The whole thing goes together well, if you know what I mean.
Bill, I reckon you must be related to Ed Davidson ( Yo-YoSpin ) :biggrin:

alamocdc

I really think the slim is very cool. The whole thing goes together well, if you know what I mean.
Bill, I reckon you must be related to Ed Davidson ( Yo-YoSpin ) :biggrin:

No, but I took lessons from him here on IAP. The day he complemented one of my pens that had a Yo-YoSpin styled bead was one of my highlights.

Top Bottom